CoTech Space4 gathering 29-30th November 2018

Yep I’m coming to the event, really looking forward to talking about how we can work with cotech and happy dev.

We’ve been imagining quite a low tech system for matching technologists to projects so far, but that might just be because we’re quite small and can do it with just talking to each other.

Gateshead council assigned us a business adviser to help constitute us legally, and through our discussions with him, we worked out that what Code-Operative (our org) does is provide teams of people for projects in a transparent way.

So, I’m coming in with the view that the web service aims to put together teams of people with the right skills for the project, who already know and like working with each other.

At the moment Code-Operative is just 4 people, but we’ve been talking about if we had about 30, maybe we could have affiliations within the co-op e.g. a group that goes mostly for political projects, a group that wants to work on games and VR, a group that likes working with experimental tech etc. The idea being that these groups will arise naturally, so we can harmonise it with the goals of the co-op.

There is now a timetable-in-progress on the CoTech wiki:

1 Like

Platform Co-op dude Danny Spitzberg has shared this video of his recent talk about platform co-ops: https://twitter.com/daspitzberg/status/1063933380998254592

We could organise a viewing/discussion as one of the sessions? Perhaps one lunchtime?

1 Like

Hey y’all,

I’ve just created a CoBudget Bucket for the hack.

https://fund.coops.tech/#/buckets/4

The idea is that this will go towards lunch on Thursday (I’ve booked a great pizza place round the corner), food and drinks on Thursday night, snacks throughout the day etc. I’ve not booked anywhere for lunch on Friday and was thinking we could play it by ear what people want to do, I imagine some might want to just crack on with things if they’re going to their respective home towns at the end of the day etc.

In terms of actually paying money, I’d rather that people bring some cash, so we don’t need to process a zillion tiny invoices. But I figured it’d be good to try out the CoBudget thing out, as a test of how it’s working.

I’ve not yet precisely costed things, but I imagine that after buying lunch on Thursday, dinner on Thursday, and allowing a bit for snacks etc in the space, there might not be tonnes over for booze - so byo also if you’re a thirsty-type.

1 Like

The video in question:

I’ve just listened to it, it isn’t very long, if you think it would be worth screening and discussing then let’s do it :slight_smile:

Another thing that we could perhaps do one lunchtime is a international video call with other tech co-ops? See the thread here:

How many people are expected at the event, the URL above doesn’t appear to make this public? I’m asking as our Treasurer is wondering following a request for some funds for the Cobudget pot.

We have 30 people signed up so far. I’m hoping for a few more - still no one confirmed from a few of the co-ops.

Hey Polly, really sorry we’ve been so slack with confirming things and signing up - been a crazy couple of months. Co-op Web will definitely be there, I’ve booked us a couple of tickets so far, but hopefully we can get a couple more down too. Looking forward to seeing everyone after missing last year!

2 Likes

Hi Nick, Really pleased to hear a few of you can make it! Looking forward to meeting you on Thursday :slight_smile:
Polly

Exciting times! Do you know what teams you’ll be joining @Cweb-Nick?

Hey all - any chance we can get a summary of the teams and what broad things they’ll be up to on the Wiki?

I can’t seem to find a definite list on here…

Howdy, I said I’d run a session on CoTech collaborations; what has worked in the past, what issues have come up, and what would make it easier in the future.

SO - I would like to take the 4pm slot for this on Friday if that’s OK - looks free… anyone interested can also talk with me at 11am on the Thursday to see if there’s any info we need to get from people in advance to make this work better!

ALSO - if you have been involved in a CoTech collaboration, I’d like to hear from you! If you can be there on the Friday then great, and if you can’t then I can do my best to download info from you beforehand.

Coop love
Tom.

@Polly - The eventbrite link
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cotech-hack-2018-tickets-52098573235
is getting the message:

Whoops, the page or event you are looking for was not found.

Hi Bill, yes sorry there was a problem with the first link (thought I’d deleted all references to it!). Here is the proper one: CoTech Hack 2018 Tickets, Thu 29 Nov 2018 at 10:00 | Eventbrite

Hey @chris

We now have 41 people signed up. I was having a think over the weekend about how much I’d suggest putting in and I was thinking around £40/head for people coming from you co-ops (that should cover meals x 2 + a few beers), then plus anything else you can contribute which will go towards subsidising other co-ops or extra beers etc.

Thanks.

1 Like

That’s great, thanks @toml - I’ve put you in for the Friday 4pm session. I’ve not put the Thursday 11am session on the timetable as I imagine this to just be people coming and chatting with you informally. But let me know if you’d like me to put it on there (or feel free to add if you have wiki access). Ta.

1 Like

Hi Alex,

There is already a list of all the teams on the wiki, and I’ve just updated the links for those which didn’t have them before. The links come back to this forum, where there is a thread for each of the teams. You can also see this list higher up on this thread here. The title of each hack pretty much sums up what it will do.

I’m personally reluctant to write a summary of each hack, because each team has been discussing the details of what they will focus on on this forum and offline too, and I don’t want to oversimplify or be inaccurate about what their parameters are. I’ll invite the people who have been most active in preparing the sessions to outline the parameters and plans of the team first thing on the Thursday morning.

If anyone who is ‘leading’ a hack would like to put up a summary on the wiki that’s of course fine by me.

Polly

1 Like

Just to reiterate that on the Thursday night we will be inviting people to hang around at Space4 until 10-11 or so. We’ll have some beers and food etc. If anyone would like to invite people feel free. We’ve invited a few people from our wider network - just people who are sympathisers and collaborators with CoTech.

3 Likes

Yes, looking forward to seeing everyone.

I’ve not had chance to give it much thought (I’m only now looking at trains and hotels), but thinking predominantly the Governance and Membership, but may change when I arrive and look into some of the small discussions/sessions. Getting more collaboration between CoTech as sounds good too.

What’s the plan for the Friday, will it all be wrapped up and everyone on their way, or are we best to book the accommodation for 2 nights as there’ll be continued discussion/drinks after the Friday session?