CoTech Nextcloud Talk

I have written an Ansible role to install a TURN (Traversal Using Relay NAT) server which, in theory, should allow the use of the Nextcloud Talk app, which does one-to-one and group video / audio conferencing and which is installed on office.coops.tech, to be used to communicate between two computers when they are both on NAT’ed (Network Address Translation) networks, I haven’t tested this yet… if anyone would like to have a play with it let me know and we can try it out, you can find it at this URL: Co-operatives Technologists Office

I love this. Happy to help test.

Really cool stuff, just went on it, perhaps we could organise a meet up to test?

I’m up for that. (adds more characters to get past filter)

Maybe one of the CoTech Community Calls @laura ?

1 Like

Let’s test before we go wild. @chris and I haven’t yet had a positive result

I’m online now if you want to try it out…

I was there later in the afternoon, I PM-ed you, get in touch when you feel like giving it a go

not sure which “nextcloud” thread to post this in but… “talk” seems general enough so hopefully this wont upset anyone!

I just want to make sure no-one is reinventing the wheel here - as other co-op groups are working on similar co-op tech… see CommonsCloud

and https://indienet.info

I know people at both if you would me to put you in touch…

best
Oli

1 Like

Apologies - busy now. I’ll ping you when I get a window.

Hi @olisb - thanks for the links. In fact I think this thread is about getting the Talk app working on the CoTech Nextcloud instance, but no matter.

I think we are installing software here rather than building it (which the initiatives you shared seem to be). Agree there are many good efforts in that area that we should join rather than duplicate.

1 Like

I fixed a stupid typo in the turnserver.conf template earlier today and have regenerated the config and restarted the coturn server so it is possible that Nextcloud Talk at office.coops.tech might work now…

1 Like

Nice. Looks like CommonsCloud are just using NextCloud, Discourse and WeKan - I wonder how much work (if any) they’ve done to integrate them so they all play nicely together.

Aral told me about https://indienet.info/ plans when I most recently met him at a conference in Brussels but I hadn’t seen the site yet so good to see it starting to come together :slight_smile:

BTW, looking for more about CommonsCloud I stumbled across @ntnsndr’s nice list of similar initiatives here Clouds – The Internet of Ownership :slight_smile:

Nextcloud Talk is working fine now, @Graham found the issue and fixed it :+1:.

We have tested it using web browsers and a phone running Nextcloud Talk for Android.

I’ll update the Webarchitects page on Nextcloud later tonight to reflect the fact that this service comes with our managed Nextcloud servers.

If anyone knows of any small organisations who have quite a lot of people they want to share some of their documents with, for example a charity with a few workers and a lot of volunteers, then please mention Nextcloud to them as an alternative to G Suite or Office 365 — it works out cheaper in addition to the added advantage of not sharing your private data with a US based corporation and we could do with some more work :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

I was wrong. They are integrating (to some degree) NextCloud, Discourse and Phabricator.

I found this out by reading this great article outlining why they’ve chosen these technologies (which was the first time I’d ever heard of Phabricator - how had I not heard of it before!?!):

http://freeknowledge.eu/article/making-of-commonscloud-technical-choices

I have only come across Phabricator because the Mediawiki project uses it, personally I’d have thought that GitLab would have been a better choice but I think NextCloud, Discourse are great choices.

Their integration plan involves a single LDAP sign on for all the three platforms, I have sent them a email following this Twitter thread but haven’t heard back from them:

But GitLab only has a tiny fraction of the features/ apps of Phabricator, no? I’d guess it is the, wiki and Trello clone/ kanban boards and chat/ Slack clone that have lead to it’s inclusion more than the code stuff… oh but having now actually looked at GitLab features that is pretty feature rich too! (way more than I realised).

I wonder if Nextcloud Talk would work for the next CoTech community call? It works fine for one-to-one chats, @Leutha and I just used it, but I haven’t tried it with multiple people, perhaps we could have a test community call using Nextcloud at some point?

1 Like