CoTech Nextcloud Talk

I’m not formally a member of CoTech yet (although just started the process and @chrislowis will be started a proposal for United Diversity to join in Loomio soon, probably Monday) , but would love to have a play around with NextCloud if you’re able to create me an account @chris? :slight_smile:

Done, on the basis that it seems inconceivable to me that your co-op won’t be imminently be a formal member of CoTech :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I have used NextCloud talk a couple of time now and it seems to work really well. Let’s give it a go.

1 Like

Gnome has just migrated to a self hosted GitLab and the only good options were Phabricator and GitLab and as part of this they produced a GitLab/Phabricator Feature Matrix, see their Development Infrastructure Evaluation for more detail.

1 Like

I’d like to use Nextcloud to collaborate with @jdaviescoates on a session on skills mapping for the November CoTech meeting. But – apologies – it’s not clear to me how to get an account. Please could I have one, for Cetis LLP?

Hi @asimong I have added an account for you, using the same username and email address that you are registered with here, so you should be able to request a password reset, I have also created a cetis group and made you the admin of it so I believe that you should be able to add accounts for others in your co-op. Let me know if you have any problems.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Deleting Discourse Spam

I’m in the process of rewriting all of the Webarchitects Nextcloud Ansible code for Debian Buster and PHP FPM (currently all our Nextcloud servers are running Debian Stretch and mod_php) and I came across the following thread on the the Nextcloud forum, we are not the only people who have found Nextcloud Talk to not be usable for 3+ users at once:

The suggestion of using Apache OpenMeetings seems good, so if and when I have some spare time I might have a play at setting up a OpenMeetings servers for testing.

@chris did you look into jitsi before (has debian packages…) - I only ever used their main instance (https://meet.jit.si/) but generally have a good experience (but usually <5 people). It looks like you can fully self host an instance… (not actually sure what the goal is here though). It has web client, and android app (and probably more).

(I see somebody mentioned jitsi on that thread…)

1 Like

We host Jitsi and Nextcloud chat, but stil seem to mostly fall back to skype and zoom (despite we’d much prefer to be on FLOSS for security and ethics!), both are improving steadily, but the overhead of faffing about to get the calls going is always an issue, in addition to the actual quality of the call

Looks like this issue is suddenly getting critical

1 Like

The possible solution to this problem that I’m going to dedicate some time to over the next while is BigBlueButton with Nextcloud integration.

3 Likes