Co-Tech Glasgow 2022

Come to media co-op.
Lots of desk space, brewery downstairs!

1 Like

Thanks for organising - I’ve asked Vilte to expedite the list of recommended places to eat to include curries and post it soon.

Me and Lucinda and possibly Jenni will come along.

1 Like

@Louise will there be any projectors available? I could do with one for the Ansible session.

Drinks!
Would any members be prepared do sponsor drinks on Thursday evening or to chip in - or should we use the Co-Tech Fund for this?
Yesterday we had just covered our basic costs so there may be some margin we can use for drinks at the Thursday evening social as folk are still signing up … but I don’t think the margin will cover the full bar bill for the evening.

Any proposals / suggestions welcome.

Even more welcome: if anyone would like to take on to manage this very specific aspect of the event that would be very helpful and much appreciated!

Any lifts still going? I’m travelling from Birmingham. Currently not much clue how to get there with the strikes because the train company isn’t releasing any tickets.

I’m driving from Sheffield, via Manchester, first thing on Wednesday morning if that helps at all?

I’m afraid the only suggestion I have regarding drinks is to suggest people buy their own, I think this is what we did at the last gathering in Birmingham.

I’m all booked up now - looking forward to seeing you all.

2 Likes

I’m getting the 06:38AM train from Stevenage on Thursday 10th, it gets into Glasgow Queen Street at 12:35, changing at Edinburgh. It’s a shame to be missing the morning but looking forward to seeing you all. If there are any southerners affected by the train strike feel free to join me, will be glad to have the company

1 Like

Sadly I can’t make it this time, hopefully see you in the next one!
It would be great if someone can post their notes of these sessions:

• Co-Tech members share their stories about getting from initial inspiration to tech workers’ co-op

• Financing ambitious worker co-op tech projects: the inward investment/ownership dilemma

Thanks and I hope you enjoy it!

1 Like

Sorry you can’t make it this time - we’ll try to capture as much as we can to share afterwards. If you ever come to Glasgow, let us know here at media co-op we’d love to meet you and show you round our fab city :slight_smile:

1 Like

This might make it easier for people to get to Glasgow next week — the rail strike has been called off:

04 Nov 2022

RMT suspends strikes after securing intensive negotiations with rail bosses.

However the RMT website doesn’t appear to be able to cope with the traffic it is getting, the article about this doesn’t load for me.

Here’s a screenshot from BBC news
Screenshot_20221104-160931_BBC News

We’ve organised a field trip on the Friday afternoon of Co-Tech Glasgow for anyone interested in our co-operative history in Glasgow:

Glasgow Museums has a collection of approximately 1,000 objects related to the Glasgow Co-operative Movement and Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society dating from 1863.
The collection includes furniture, ceramics, banners, photographs and booklets. It also holds jars, bottles, tins, clothing, shoes, food packaging, leather goods and share books, in addition to booklets, leaflets, certificates, badges, trophies, yearbooks, tokens, a television and a car body.

Glasgow was closely associated with the development of the co-operative movement in Scotland.
Co-operative societies aimed to provide members with good quality products at affordable prices and pay them a regular dividend. The SCWS became an integral part of daily life for the majority of working class Scots. It was a major employer, manufacturer and retailer and provided welfare and banking through the share system. Co-operative societies also provided social, education and leisure opportunities through a network of clubs, choirs and women’s guilds.
It’s max 15 people so we’ll organise sign up on Thursday. We can travel out there together on public transport https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/venues/glasgow-museums-resource-centre-gmrc#how-to-get-here-3

2 Likes

Hi - to date, it looks like we’ll have a surplus of around £600 from the budget. I’d like to propose we put this behind the bar for the social evening so the entire evening is free to all.
This won’t go far though, as we’re also inviting folk who come along to the Open Session and some other local co-ops such as Green City who are organising the music/DJ-ing, so could we consider putting in a contribution from the Co-Tech fund as it’s Co-Tech hosted?

2 Likes

Best check with @chrislowis regarding the use of the fund.

Here’s how you could propose to spend money from the Fund - cotech / fund · GitLab

Historically people were not very keen on supporting party-related spending (particularly %%%) so might need careful phrasing!

Very excited to see you all this week!

1 Like

Hi Louise!

It’s great that the event has paid for itself - amazing job on organising and getting the ticket sales sorted out.

As Sz says, we have a bit of a convention to not use the fund for “just booze”, a proposal to use it for that might pass but I think it could be worth thinking of some options. Maybe:

• Switch to a cash bar when the £600 runs out
  • Use the tab for guests rather than CoTech members
  • Propose to use the CoTech fund for some of the other expenses.
  • Don’t put any money behind the bar and put the £600 into the fund for the future
  • See if individual co-ops or companies will sponsor the bar tab

We’d give fund proposals at least 7 days to pass, so I don’t think we’ll get a decision before the money needs to be used. So you might have to spend any extra “at-risk” for now. I can chat to you some more about it when I arrive tomorrow if that helps?

2 Likes

Hi Chris

Thanks - yes, let’s have a chat when you get here.
I think having invited people for a social as part of Boss or Bossed? we do need to offer at least 1 drink, but we can have a think about it. We just need to have a policy in place by 7pm on Thursday!

1 Like

Apologies – I had hoped to attend both days but I can’t make it today. Tomorrow also looking unlikely. Hope everyone has a fun and productive time.

2 Likes