Minute books - what do you use?

So Maltese legislation (where VME Co-op is being incorporated) is very clear that minutes of all general meetings shall be entered in the “minute book”.

What do tech co-ops use? The idea of a word document, or worse, hand written document gives me shivers.

Does anyone use Loomio for this (can it even be used as a minute book?)

I think Enspiral Foundation in New Zealand in effect has its general meetings on Loomio (i.e. that is where they vote on formal proposals to the meeting, even if meeting in person).

I’m not sure if they also write separate minutes and publish them somewhere too.

One pattern I’ve seen a few times is for people to collaboratively write minutes in real-time using EtherPad or similar (maybe NextCloud Collabora Online or GoogleDocs) and then publishing a final edited version on a wiki or git repository (could just be a NextCloud doc in a NextCloud folder too I guess).

1 Like

One pattern I’ve seen a few times if for people to collaboratively write minutes in real-time using EtherPad or similar (maybe NextCloud Collabora Online or GoogleDocs) and then publishing a final edited version on a wiki or git repository (could just be a NextCloud doc in a NextCloud folder too I guess).

Exactly how we do it. Etherpad as the meeting is happening and then into the MediaWiki. Both run on our Sandstorm server.

2 Likes

Just out of interest, is that a Sandstorm server you run yourselves, or do you just use the hosted service?

Just out of interest, is that a Sandstorm server you run yourselves, or do you just use the hosted service?

Yep one we run ourselves. It’s a breeze. The hard bit is understanding the way Sandstorm handles permissions which is very security focused. It would take a bit of training for non-techies to grasp IMO as the URLs are kind of ephemeral (they change) and you have to use the internal sharing function which is not that intuitive. Great project though.

1 Like

We should always do this, it is the best way. I just discovered that the Free Software hosting network that we are a part of has the Etherpad-like site and thanks to the SSO we set up you can sign on to pad.libreho.st via git.coop.

1 Like

Nice. I just did that :grinning: although it didn’t really work until the second time, after I had also verified my email address.

It runs CodiMD which is the open source version of HackMD which I think emerged out of tech activist scene in Taiwan.

See https://github.com/codimd/server/blob/master/docs/history.md

Perhaps people like @coopsmark & @Graham who are using HackMD might be interested in using this instead?

It sounds like you didn’t click through the two pages correctly, or perhaps you were not already logged into git.coop, or perhaps I’m missing something here?

This is the process, first login to git.coop:

Screenshot_2019-06-09%20Sign%20in

Then click the “Sign In” button at pad.libreho.st and then click the “Sign in via SAML” button:

Screenshot_2019-06-09%20CodiMD%20-%20Collaborative%20markdown%20notes

Then on the “Librehosters - SIngle Sign On (SSO)” page click the “git.coop” link:

And they you will get redirected back to pad.libreho.st and you will be logged in.

On phone so can’t be bothered to fully share, but basically I hadn’t already logged into git.coop but I clicked “Sign in via SAML” then git.coop then logged in. It worked but took me to a profile update page where I had to enter my email and then click on email link to verify. But after clicking link I wasn’t still logged in, so I did it again and then worked and I was in and could create pads etc