I’ve recently researched a little about tech coops around the world,
and was really happy to find this impressive community.
My name is Oz, and I’m a member of Sofi(https://soficoop.com), a software and graphic design coop in Israel.
We are doing web development - websites and applications, using VueJs, WordPress and other technologies.
Sofi came into being about a year and a half ago, after 2-3 similar attempts by other people.
We’re 8 people now, and are now facing the question whether we should grow, and if so how.
I think living within a network of coops is a good way to grow.
I also think tech cooperatives are a big promise for the hi-tech industry, were the pressure for profits and race for getting the edge over everybody can create a stressful and unbalanced mentality.
We want to put people before profits, because the tech sector can provide both reasonable income and well being.
I’m curious what kind of successful cooperations between tech coops have been made, and what is the vision to the future
Since this place makes me feel like so much is possible I will brainstorm a few dreams:
- Tech Cooperatives radio/podcast?
- Exchanging knowledge, courses
- Partnering on projects where there are complementary skills
- Exchanging workers - Working some time in a different coop may be a good way to share professional and organizational knowledge?
- Crowdfunding tech - Thinking of a great product that the world needs and promotes our values, and raising money for it, managing it ourselves.
There are also many questions, like how to get new members, how to do remote work right, how to facilitate the creation of other cooperatives…
But this post is already too long,
Happy to meet you all, and kudos for the work you’ve done!