FarmHack 2020 :D

Following @nick’s thread on Events, Events/conferences/festivals/etc in 2020 i managed to get tickets to FarmHack 2020.

Bringing with me:

• an easily-buildable, OSHW pipe-bender design;
  • a ( really unsafe ) design for an arc-welder*;
  • a small cook-stove design that can be made from soup tins;
  • a convergent wind-turbine design that can be built from bicycle components;

Along with getting some help on the planter systems i’m working on.

Any suggestions for other things that would be worth bringing?

Note that i’m looking for suggestions for technologies that people need.

I’ve been working in this field for 10 years, and combine my ADHD, my poor note-taking, and, my eclectic approach towards technology, means i have come across such a wide variety of OSHW that i have forgotten about solutions until someone mentions the problem again.

*No, seriously, if you can find a proper arc-welder then DON’T use this design, https://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Microwave-Transformer-Homemade-Welder/ Remember to use the proper PPE.

It’s fun to make and use, but to get fully functional results, it requires a lot of experience in welding to use it effectively.

It’s not an ideal design for a machine to learn on.

It’s got a lovely analogue feel to it though. :smiley:

1 Like

Also,

• a design for a zero-carbon metal-casting furnace using BBQ charcoal. :smiley:

Combine with wood-working to make some of the casting forms, and 3d-printing to make the more precision forms, and, you’ve got a very simple way of making the larger tooling systems that you need for full-blown manufacturing.

• Aircrete production for making fluffy concrete on a smaller scale

Aircrete is a wonderful material. :smiley:

Light, fireproof, insect-proof, and, easy to work using hand tools.

It used to be that you had to order it by the cement-mixer-truck-load, so only the larger operators could afford to use it.

Now the technology exists to make it for the same price-point as the large producers, but on a smaller scale. :smiley:

This wll also integrate nicely with some of the OSHW building designs that are out there. :smiley:

1 Like