Community Animation

During today’s governance call we discussed community animation (as a primary objective in adopting Hubl)

@chrislowis originally proposed a “collaboration” working group with the aim of reviewing and strategising the adoption of Hubl. I think that we could extend this definition to include the overall aim of “animating” the community as a whole. I think the newsletter is a part of this, and I have some other ideas, but maybe the first step here is to gauge interest in this strategy?

@SzczepanOfAnimorph mentioned that there have been previous discussions about hiring a CoTech animator, mostly thinking about external outreach. I’m mostly talking about encouraging internal participation but there may be crossover here

3 Likes

I’m intending to spend August and September compiling an informal taxonomy of the coops in cotech by arranging a thirty minute phone call with a member of all of them.

I’m then going to sell this information to the highest bidder on the dark web

3 Likes

Can i start the bidding at a pint of beer?

3 Likes

Hey Calum,

Yes this has been discussed a few times. I think it’s a great idea/direction. Problem is though, it’s taken rather a long time to raise the money in the fund (circa 8k a year or something) so we’re a long way off being able to fund even a part-time job. There’s also some complication in terms of think about where that person would take their lead from, and be based etc, so that the role was neutral or equally shared across the network.

Personally I think that the first step is to create a working group type of thing and see where we can get to, but bare in mind that we could be heading in this direction :slight_smile:

I’m in for the animating group!

3 Likes

I’d be well up for helping with that!

I reckon armed with such knowledge, an internal community animator plus external sales type role could end up funding itself.

Like, if I had a good grip on all the skills in our network I reckon I could get member co-ops contracts, and then commission from these contracts could fund time working on newsletters, organising gatherings, events, microsolidarity type stuff, etc etc.

I think that would be fun.

4 Likes

Update on the working group from the proposal which passed recently: we’re forming a community animation/engagement working group which will at least monitor/animate the adoption of Hubl and measure its success

@KingMob and @jdaviescoates do you want to get involved with this? Or would you be willing to help us out onboarding co-ops onto Hubl while you call them? :slight_smile:

We could combine our efforts and formulate a loose script of what information we want to find out, to build the taxonomy

The working group is open to all CoTech members

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan! Happy to join the group but only have some time on Mondays and Fridays.

1 Like

We arranged to have a call to organise the Hubl onboarding and discuss with @KingMob the crossover with the taxonomy on Friday 15:00GMT, @jdaviescoates are you available? :slight_smile:

open to all CoTech members

3 Likes

hey @calummackervoy I’d love to help out on this so count me in for Friday

2 Likes

Yes I am! :smiley:

Shall we meet on Meet.coop? I’ve got an account on the production server.

1 Like

This call is due to start in 12 minutes but I’ve no idea how to join the call!

I’ve just created a CoTech room on my meet.coop account if we want to use that? https://ca.meet.coop/b/jos-gif-bkt

Apologies for not posting the link sooner @jdaviescoates and @Aaron!

One has already been created CoTech-Hubl

2 Likes

Here’s the minutes from the call, thanks to @KingMob and everyone else who chipped in!

1 Like

Re Solid underpinning Hubl, there’s an online event starting 3pm BST today with several high-profile organisations (e.g. BBC) adopting Solid. One of the presentations is by @alexbourlier

3 Likes

:kissing_heart: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

(edit: oh the link in the embedded tweet isn’t directly clickable here, so here it is)

I’m writing a short post for the Startin’Blox blog about CoTech and our adoption of Hubl, I assume this is okay - I’ll seek some peer-review before & after the content goes live

Could I get some quotes from people, please? About anything in the area really, it could be:

• what do we hope to get out of Hubl?
  • future vision for CoTech/the international community
  • how do you feel about the adoption of Hubl? How do you feel about the direction we’re going in? (CoTech, the international community, …)
  • the semantic web, Solid
  • something from the perspective of your member co-op, or a project which you work on

@KingMob @polly @SzczepanOfAnimorph @jdaviescoates @Aaron in particular since you’ve been active :slight_smile:

Please send to me by email, PM or replying to this message. I suppose I only need two or three :slight_smile:

1 Like