Birmingham Cotech Gathering 15th and 16th June: It's happening!

Is anyone interested in picking up a role ahead of the gathering?

We will need:

• Facilitator for opening session
  • Facilitator for decision making/closing session
  • People to update the wiki throughout the day
  • Liaising with the venue

Please reply here or message privately if interested!

Thank you for working hard to make the party on Thursday happen, sorry to miss it. We will hopefully have a wee drink on Wednesday evening!

The original proposal covers costs for a venue for the gathering and refreshments. There shouldnā€™t be a problem with bringing a new proposal to the Fund for the party and catering costs though.

Happy to update the wiki on the day and to support facilitating efforts!

I really appreciate all the hard work youā€™re doing to organise this, thank you for that and for keeping everyone updated.

Iā€™m not sure if we can approve such a large overspend without asking the fund contributers. Ā£1700 is a really big chunk of our available budget for the year after weā€™ve paid for the fixed infrastructure costs. Weā€™ve been discussing appointing a network coordinator, for example, and weā€™d need some budget for that.

Is there anything you can do to keep costs managable, or at least share with us the source of the overspend? Some concerns were raised up-thread that there may not be many people around on the Thursday night - could the party be downscaled and the DJ/sound system cancelled (I donā€™t know how much these things cost, or whether thereā€™s a cancellation fee)? Could we ask attendees to sort out their own food to avoid catering costs?

Sorry for asking questions that have probably already been thought about - Iā€™m trying to wear my CoTech treasurer hat and keep an eye on spend.

3 Likes

I mean, I think the original budget proposal was inaccurate. I heard that it costs approx Ā£1200 for the last gathering so it was always a problem (not of my making I may add). Last year they used tickets to recoup some of that which I did forget about.

We could cancel the party completely. There is already problems with finding a space.

However, I do find it a bit crap that rich CoTech co-ops canā€™t fork out for a small event. Itā€™s not exactly a bank breaking amount of money and it would go only into the co-op economy. We should take our community building events as a golden opportunity for networking and building the network. Need more money in the fund if we want to run these events.

I understand the frustration of taking over organisation of the event with a budget agreed that isnā€™t sufficient and that you werenā€™t involved in proposing. Thank you again for persevering!

In the past we did rely on some larger/ā€œricherā€ coops to chip in for shared costs but there were some problems with that (Iā€™d be happy to talk about that some more in another thread or when we meet). We set up the fund to share the costs more democratically to avoid some of the problems.

In the end, the fund means weā€™re spending money on the event that coops who canā€™t attend are contributing for. I think thatā€™s a cool system but I have a responsibility (as part of the treasury team) to make sure we stick to the process as best we can. I think thereā€™s more chance that coops will be happy to chip in more if we can collectively show weā€™re being careful and professional with their contributions.

A few suggestions for ways forward

• cut the costs to come within the budget as you have already started to think about
  • see if one of the coops can chip in to cover the shortfall
  • start a proposal to cover additional funds (this wonā€™t be possible before next Thursday now, so thereā€™s some risk in going ahead with the increased costs in that it might not get covered)

Do you know how many people are attending and what the per-head breakdown of costs is? Maybe if you can share that someone might have some additional ideas.

4 Likes

Please spare a few minutes to reply to the 2-question questionnaire :memo: to help us prepare for the gathering kick-off session! The more contributions the better the image we can draw :heart_hands:

Sorry to be missing you all later this week. You know I love these things! But Iā€™m in Spain on holidays. Hope it goes really really well, I look forward to hearing all about it. Well done to all the organisers! xx

4 Likes

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the silence things have been hectic our end and with a full schedule and a lot going on. However the good news is myself Alan and Olivia will be attending this gathering and we will be arriving about 10.30 am Wednesday and will be leaving Thursday around lunchtime.

Look forward to seeing you all!
Ben

3 Likes

Iā€™ve cancelled the party venue and DJs so we should be a bit less over budget now. Everything is all organised now. Looking forward to seeing you all!

Remember to do a lateral flow test before arriving.

1 Like

I canā€™t get to the event this time. I hope that it is successful. If I was going to be there Iā€™d probably be encouraging a discussion about re-establishing/re-energising CoTechā€™s mission (which I feel has dissipated), hoping that people might be interested in talking about leveraging the power that is latent within CoTech to make innovative exciting stuff happen in the cooperative economy, talking about the servers.coop project and encouraging people to support that. And I would be aiming to talk about the Innovation Cooperative that is in process of being born, what it will be able to provide in support of CoTech and how CoTech in turn can be an invaluable part of the Innovation Cooperative ecosystem.

Finally!
I T
I S
H A P P E N N I N G
:tada::tada:

Follow the events on wiki: June Gathering 2022 - CoTech

1 Like

Dear all, unfortunately, due to personal circumstances Iā€™m not going to make it tomorrow. Really a pity as I was hoping to get to know Co-Tech members more, but hopefully there will be other opportunities. If any of you are attending Co-op Congress Friday & Saturday do come and say hi. All the best with the Gathering!!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Vica. Hope everything is ok.

It was a truly splendid time! Big thanks to Autonomic for coordinating the gathering.
Will update wiki later today, for now a little thank you tweet!

5 Likes

Thanking everyone for all the organising and participation and joyful times!

Finally uploaded the notes from the handbook/policy session to the Wiki. Please edit if I missed/misrepresented anything said.

Holler at me if you are interested in taking any part of that session forward, like identifying some common pain points across our co-ops and seeing how we can collectivise resources.

4 Likes