The DNA of collaboration

Hi coTechers,
I’m always wondering about ways to increase collaboration and network the various networks that are working on building the regenerative economy…

I just published an idea about trying to model a formula for organisational collaboration on three simple rules: Cohesion, Seperation and Alignment - and defining a protocol to aggregate, visualise and disseminate the murmurations?

I’d be really interested in any feedback you might have about my idea of creating a protocol or publishing format which might help us experiment with the idea…

2 Likes

Pretty interesting Oliver. Love the idea of tagging via RSS feeds. It feels like a more mindful and usable version of #Hashtags.

Thanks @DavidRandall,
Over on the Open App Ecosystem Loomio group

Thierry Marianne said
Could there be a git repository related to this DNA so that mutations could happen via forks and pull requests?

And I replied:

Hi @thierrymarianne - That sounds like an interesting idea… we’re you thinking the git repository would be for the “organisations collaborative DNA” i.e. each org submits their Purpose, Scope tags and RSS to a repository, or that the general idea could be on git somehow…?

I love the idea that it could be forked and evolve…

Mainly I’m wondering whether it would require Orgs to publish their “Collaborative DNA pages” in a specific way / format, or whether a clever spider would be able to pick up and pull out the Purpose, Scope tags and RSS feed if, for example, those titles were simply H tags, with the variables directly after them…?

I guess it would be easier to test the visualisation (murmurations) aspect if Orgs added the data to a centralized database (at least to start with) but I like the idea of it being completely distributed and that Orgs only need to add a very simple page to their own site. But then how would they make other related orgs aware they had done so…?

You could copy what libreho.st have, the (randomly ordered) listing on their front page is pulled together from json files like this, see for example the Webarchitects librehost.json, the code to generate the listing is in this repo.

Certainly an interesting idea. I guess the problem is that as soon as you start dealing with humans the problem becomes complex rather than just complicated so it becomes hard to know what to do with the data.

Its the sort of thing machine learning is good at if you could come up with a ‘source of truth’ about groups or individuals that had and hadn’t collaborated effectively.

Wow - I hadn’t realised how much time had passed since I first posted about this concept…!
The idea has now evolved into Murmurations and we are actively working on an major update to enable a flexible, open protocol for decentralised maps, directories and aggregators - I’ve attempted to explain the status and ideas in this blog post and we are looking for input from an experienced Javascript developer if anyone knows anyone…?
Cheers
Oli

1 Like

I am pleased to report that Murmurations Protocol Version 1 is up and running - so now you publish profiles and see your data pop up on multiple maps / directories…
We’d love to hear your feedback.

1 Like

Hey Oli,

I’m sure that Outlandish would be able to do this. But from the wording it sounds like you’re looking for freelancers. Are you able to confirm?

Polly

Hi All, it’s been a while!
Here’s a quick update about Murmurations, our ‘ontology agnostic’ regenerative economy decentralised mapping project:

We are now gathering more entries in the Index and Transition Towns and the EcoRestoration Alliance are working on setting up their APIs to add all of the nodes from their maps, so the data is getting more comprehensive. :slight_smile:

Geoff and team have built an excellent map-based Index explorer, which renders all of the 30,000 nodes in the Index with geo coordinates on a highly filterable map - it’s already quite a useful resource for finding regenerative economy Orgs and projects, check it out here: https://map.murmurations.network/ it’s not a full ‘aggregator’ so doesn’t pull in all of the details contained in each profile, but does enable you to click through to find out more, and can be easily filtered in several different ways, check out the short demo video here: Murmurations Map Demo from Murmurations Network on Vimeo

And, if you’d like to add your Org to the map, check out the step by step instructions and video here: Create a Murmurations Profile | Murmurations

Hope you like it - please help spread the word and shout if you have any question?

Oli

1 Like