Supercoop digital Pilot Project - Experience sharing

hi, this is fascinating - heartwarming to hear of survival of the co-op and and heartbreaking to think of how the UK equivalent is so much less radical. The Co-op Group was similarly attacked (the bank not bailed out by the government when all other banks were, for example), and it similarly sold off a lot of assets (farms, pharmacies, buildings, most of the bank ownership, etc), but it survives and pretty much thrives as a capitalist enterprise with millions of members. Perhaps the opposite problem to Supercoop.

There are absolutely opportunities for tech coops to work with the big coops and lots of examples. So this is a nudge to other CoTech members to reply with some examples/ experience here!

In the UK, i think @SteveGill 's recent experience could be useful, although VME’s history is as a group of tech employees of quite big ScotMid consumer co-op and then spinning out into a separate business and subsequently becoming their own co-op.

I’m very excited by the idea of internationally federating, but it’s the very beginning of a conversation. I guess that you are associated with FACTTIC? If not, that seems a good first step!

I suggest you also read through this post and perhaps tag or directly contact the people in it, or prompt for another call: Video call for international exchange

Lastly, I think @Sion is a good person to get on board as the UK’s international worker co-op person with experience of dealing with the wider co-op movement here and globally.

3 Likes