Starting a Drupal 8 CRM project

I would be happy to contribute by way of doing a bit of testing and providing feedback if that’s helpful, and am happy to help with documentation (the bulk of my contribution to date to the CiviCRM project is on documentation). and of course once it’s up and running I can refer people.

1 Like

Thanks @Graham, that’s fantastic!

I will be setting up a demo site very soon and you can start testing from the get-go.

Do you have any experience with getting modules into Drupal.org and their security advisory system?

Sadly can’t help on the intricacies of working with drupal.org

Hi @naomi, yes I’m part of MediaBlaze Hosts

Thanks everyone for all your interest

I have a question

In the way that one “asks” a newly acquired cat or dog what its name is, I asked my unborn project its name and it said it was Zen CRM. You see I am actually quite into Zen, I mean I have been for decades and in a genuine way. And I want to apply genuinely Zen principles to it, not just in the sense of simplicity and minimalism but insofar as I am creating it for the good of all beings as opposed to for my ego or to get rich … etc…

But I can’t help thinking that people who don’t know the thought behind it will think it is wanky. It’s so overused for the wrong reasons.

What do others on here think? If I need to change it, now’s the time!

Oh and another one, can anyone suggest a good open-source Drupal-8-native clean minimal theme?

Cool! Do you want to get in touch by email? I sent you a PM.

I think the name is fine. My only concern, and also perhaps the answer to your next question, is that Zen is also the name of a very popular Drupal theme.

So it is! I had forgotten. Well, I suppose I should use it then! Although IIRC it’s not a theme as such but for basing custom themes on

Anyway I don’t think it matters having the same name as they are are quite clearly different things

zencrm.com redirects to zendesk.com, also some Italian company is using the name zencrm

Probably a blessing in disguise

Might go for “CRM Case”, to emphasise that it does both things…

Hi @liam I’ve spotted you say this a couple of times now - may I ask who is we? :slight_smile:

Oh, should’ve scrolled down further! see now you are a member of https://mediablazehosts.coop/ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone

Here’s the result of my first sprint. It has the basic case management functionality already!

https://demo.opencase.org.uk/

login is demo / demo

2 Likes

There seemed to be a lot of interest from people on here, at first but now tumbleweed.

Have you not had a chance to look at it or do you think it’s crap and are afraid to say so? Don’t be!

1 Like

I did take a look at it when you posted the link the other day. It’s clearly an early iteration, and as I don’t know what’s on your roadmap in terms of additional functionality, I didn’t think it was useful to offer any feedback at that point. I don’t think it’s crap, but for me there’s not enough there yet for me to be able to offer anything more at this stage.
Happy to test and try to break it though, when I’ve got a moment. :slight_smile:

Hi

Planned functionality is listed in the gitbook documentation (linked from the demo site).

But I don’t have a roadmap, because the features I add and the order I add them in will be in response to feedback from actual and prospective users.

The most helpful thing would be to look through the user stories on gitbook and let me know what you would add or prioritise given your experience of organisations’ needs.

Naomi

1 Like

A few things - you’ve probably got it all ocvered anyway, but …:
Contact details: contact details appear to come in a set, i.e. one email address, up to 2 phone numbers and one postal address. Might be better to keep them independent of each other for flexibility. Not sure what’s best here, but just to say it felt a bit odd when using it.
Emails - if I send emails to case clients through the system do they get logged as activities on cases?
Emails to volunteers (who probably won’t have cases) - will these emails get logged.
What about email bounces - do you plan to have the system track bounces and so maintain better mailing lists and email reputation?
Re: GDPR: if someone wants to be forgotten, how will it handle that without deleting all of the case data?

1 Like

Hi

Thanks

The contact details thing is deliberate. It’s so that different sets of contact details can be associated with different hats. Correspondence relating to that hat will be sent to that address. For example a lawyer involved in a case will want correspondence about that case sent to their work address whereas if the same person is also a donor, they might want thank you letters and newsletters sent to their home address.

It doesn’t make sense to have more than one address or email associated with a hat. (How would the system, or user, decide which to use?) Whereas more than one phone number is useful as you can try one and then the other

Emails about a case will be stored on the case

I’m hoping not to need activities outside of cases. This is something people find confusing in Civi - having activities in two places. So I’m going to make donations a case - which feels strange, but I like it for political reasons too. It means a case is any focused stream of interactions, rather than being one person “helping” another.

Hi,
I am unsure if I will be able to help much.
But I could not find how to create an account. There is login & forgot password but neither offer me to register a new account.

Hey, great stuff!

Login is demo / demo

It doesn’t redirect to the home page after you log in (because I was messing about with it last night) but just click on the cat and all will be well