Hi to all,
The Platform coop consortium has announced the platform coop development Kit. This will be a knowledge base as also an ecosystem of Apps and tools to start and manage platform coops.
More information can be found here:
The project is funded with 1 Mio $ from Google.org
The Google Web APIs are very convenient for fast prototyping and I have seen several people and developers at the platform coop konsortium using Google-Tools e.g. for creating the directory Internet of ownenership.
Several project with coops are already in the design stage and I have the impression, that we may get a software stack, which uses a lot of Google APIs during rapid prototyping and later in the final products derived from the prototypes.
At the PLatform coop mailing list, I started the the provocative thread “Are we selling the platform coop movement to Google ?” in which I state:
I´m not a developer, but I work with developers. For the Platform Coop Kit, I would like to see a mission statement like e.g.:
- The Platform Kit is based on Open Source technology
- The platform coop Kit software promoted open standards (e.G W3C and ISO)
- where ever possible, the software stack of the platform coop kits avoid the usage of web APIs, which are provided by non coop platforms
- Especially Web APIs, which force the users to share personal data with non coop platforms should be avoided
- Identity management of the Platform coop Kit must be independent from non coop platforms
- handling of geo-data must be based on the Openstreet map project
- In the case, that there is currently no productive alternative Web APIs of non Coop platforms, the software has to be prepared for an easy exchange of these Web APIs to coop controlled Web APIs in a later stage.
I would also like very much to see an overview, which Web APIs are currently used in the prototypes of the Platform Coop Kit, and which Web APIs, they plan to use in future version.
As I´m not a developer, I would be glad, if coop developers have a look at the project, ask questions and inject ideas how to grow this project with less Google Web APIs as possible.
I will report from the public platform coop mailinglist https://lists.riseup.net/www/arc/platformcoop-discuss/ about the ongoing discussion.