SAVE THE DATE: CoTech Gathering Thursday 23rd-Friday 24th September

It might be worth updating the top post in this thread to have a prominent link to the timetable wiki page?

Are there facilities for any sessions to be presented by remote participants? For example a room with a decent microphone, camera, screen and projector?

Yep we have a room with all that. But do you have a view of what tech to use to link people in to remote workshops/talks @chris ? I assume we’ll be using Big Blue Button - hopefully some of the bugs are ironed out now?

@annie we’re going to kick off at 10am on Thursday.

Polly

Sounds good to me @Sion and that time slot is available. You wanna put it in?

I’m sure it won’t be as tragic and comic as it has been in the past!

I’d be able to attend if there is a remote option :pray:

1 Like

Hey Steve, yep we’ll make the discussion sessions accessible remotely.

@chris we have a TV/computer/webcam. Have you confirmed your attendance in person yet? Any chance you could take care of the software wizardry?

Ok a few new sessions that I am going to put tentatively in the timetable. Please let me know if you want to get involved:

1. How to collaborate with other coops
    A session that is coming from a few of us at Outlandish. We’ve done quite a few collaborations - both partnering on projects and ‘seconding’ people to Outlandish from other coops. I know there are lots more collaborations happening. Lets have a session to discuss how they’ve worked well, what the difficulties are, and how we can get more collaborations happening across the network.

2. Agony Aunt Sessions / Strategy Group - Learnings and Replication
    A few of the coops based at SPACE4 have been meeting regularly to discuss issues we’ve faced in our coops. It’s been a place to share worries and joys! We’d like to share what we’ve done, with a view to maybe replicating this across the network.

3. How can we refer work fairly through the network?
    As I understand it (and others may think differently!) part of the point of CoTech is that we can refer work that we can’t do for one reason or another to other coops. But currently, there aren’t many clear processes about how this works. Some people send it directly, others put it on the forum. How can we make sure that things don’t slip through the gaps, and that the right work goes to the right coops in a way that is fair?

4. Network Coordinator
    For a while now there’s been discussion of getting a coordinator to support the development of CoTech. @alex @KingMob and I have had a few discussions around what this would look like. We’d like to get more people involved in this process.

I’m putting some tentative times in the timetable for these now. If anyone who is involved in these discussions or keen to come along doesn’t agree with my suggested times please change them or message here.

See the emerging timetable here:

https://wiki.coops.tech/wiki/Autumn_Gathering_2021#Agenda

1 Like

Yes! I’d like to do a session on the community of practice we’re starting focussed on building healthy power. Have put in the schedule for 11-12am on Friday - I know, first Friday sesh, risky! Please come!! :smiley:

We’re running it internally at Outlandish for now but in the next iteration would really like to open up to CoTech members. I’d also love to explore if this is something which could be part funded by the CoTech fund.

A bit more info from the invite I sent round internally:

What is it?
A small group of people will be coming together regularly over an agreed time frame (we suggest 6 months but we’ll confirm this as a group) to work on building openness, understanding, trust and, specifically, looking at how this can build ‘healthy power’.

‘Healthy power’ is when one person or group exercises power to achieve their goals, all the other people, groups, and ecosystems affected become more powerful and have greater well-being as a result. To achieve this we must include everyone in ‘leading’.

Why we’re doing it
The aim is to create a group specifically for, and run by, people who wish to learn with and from other people to enhance their ability to increase healthy power in the organisations and communities we work with.

The goals:

• Learning deeply together.
  • Building supportive relationships and a supportive group.
  • Understanding how to build openness, understanding and trust in ourselves, and with others, to increase ‘healthy power’.

Let me know if you have questions, see you there! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Yes, I very much hope to be there, I’m not sure that anything will be needed other than a URL for a BigBlueButton room for the event and then opening the URL, using the web browser on the computer that is connected to the screen, camera and microphone?

1 Like

Hello Polly,

I will be coming in person from Creative Coop. All 4 of these sessions above are of interest to us and in particular session 1 and 3.

A point to add that may feed into some of these is that we have found that sometimes clients go to the Cotech site and pick coops to invite to tender and essentially we can end up pitching against each other without even knowing.

Looking forward to next week!
Ben

1 Like

Ahead of the network coordinator session, it would be VERY helpful if people could take 2 minutes to fill in this form: CoTech coordinator survey

Thank you!

Hi Everybody!!
My name is Irene Lopez de Vallejo and next Thursday will join the event to introduce you to DisCO.coop.
DisCO stands for Distributed Cooperative Organisations. It is a multi-layered and a non profit coop, and will give you an overview of both during the CoTech Gathering.
I will join at lunch and look forward very much to engage with you all.
Irene

2 Likes

Looking forward to meeting you lot in a hybrid mode, many thanks for organising and contributing everyone, such captivating threads! Would love to attend all if time permits, keen to get involved in the network coordinator conversation and maybe add one more session.

Do you start counting from 0? Can’t see on the agenda table, is it on Friday evening?

2 Likes

I suggest we use https://ca.meet.coop/b/chr-lna-sxq for the online access to sessions:

Myself, @jdaviescoates and the Autonomic and Animorph accounts on ca.meet.coop have admin access for this room and if anyone else in CoTech would like to be added to this list please let me know your ca.meet.coop username.

2 Likes

Just added ‘Use cases for Shared Infrastructure’ session for tomorrow 2pm.
Would you like to find out more about Servers.coop initiative? It will be introduced by @3wordchant!
I will support facilitating a discussion about potential ways we all could take advantage of a fully-blown shared infrastructure at CoTech.
Come along!

1 Like

The meet.coop room is open so people can call in for the sessions!

2 Likes

Our massive lunch order is nearly fulfilled, eating in the park.

It is proposed we push all afternoon sessions by half hour, so Shared Infrastructure would starts at 2:30!

1 Like

Thanks for the updates

Thank you for your patience with my ADHD. :smiley:

Being able to attend remotely is useful, though i miss the serendipities and synchronicities of the in-person event.

Following on from the "How can we refer work fairly through the network? " discussions, i could see the contrast between the mutually-supportive co-operative approach, and, the ways that things evolved in the other co-working spaces i have been a part of.

Some of the co-working spaces i have seen were a snake-pit of vipers competing for funding opportunities and market opportunities.

The contrast with the way things are done in Cotech and Space4, is a refreshing and hopeful experience. :smiley:

1 Like

https://pad.riseup.net/p/Cotech_coordinator_circle_proposal-keep

1 Like