S.coop - The Co-operative Press URL shortening service

It is working again now, I have migrated and updated the code running the site.

3 Likes

You host s.coop? - nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad too, that now it’s in good hands. Had problems with reliability over the last few months. Particularly pleased as it was my idea, to the News Coop, to use that domain name, when single letter versions were still available.

4 Likes

Good on you!

Think you can still get short .coop domains, but you have to argue the case for them and only use them in certain ways. I had ud.coop (short for uniteddiversity.coop) for a while but never got around to using it as I had envisaged (basically as a short url for uniteddiversity.coop links) and couldn’t afford to keep renewing something I never used! :slight_smile:

I must have been persuasive, as we have w.coop and use it for all our dev sites.

3 Likes

I didn’t know this, thanks Felix!

1 Like

@chris, it seems that the short link service http://s.coop was decommissioned by Co-op News? The homepage and all short links have shown an “access denied” message for months now.

Anything you or this community can share?

1 Like

Thanks for raising this @andrewe it’ll be a lack of maintenance rather than anything else, I’ll drop @RebeccaHarvey a line about it.

The main problem with the site for the last few years has been spam, it needs to only be available to members of Co-op News or something like that to make it work:

1 Like

Thanks for the update @chris. I was going to suggest that social.coop host something similar (with a new short and generic .coop domain) but maybe we need to consider something that is not open to all:

— wait until social.coop rolls out signal sign-on for all members and limit to members only?
— create an open public service, but require an account? (automatic approval with .coop email, manual verification if not)

Any shared learnings would be appreciated.

1 Like

:point_up: This is the best option IMHO.

1 Like

@RebeccaHarvey Who can I talk to at Co-op News about getting s.coop up and running again — or perhaps finding a new home for s.coop, securing it from spam, and making it a broadly available resource to coops and/or .COOP users?

1 Like

The domain has been allowed to lapse, wit the agreement of @RebeccaHarvey we could share the existing code base and database but it would be quite a task to remove all the spammy database entries and get it up and running again…

If social.coop have the capacity to take this on it would be awesome, I’d suggest going forward you only allow members to create new links, other wise it’ll get spammed to death again…

2 Likes

Would Co-op News (@RebeccaHarvey) consider renewing the domain name for another year and not letting this one-letter domain lapse? We could then transfer the domain to social.coop’s “fiscal host” (a coop society that meets .COOP rules).

We’d probably look to use an established/maintained codebase, but and would have to make a judgement call on preserving the links (based on hours of review). Also, my hope is that s.coop would continue as a community resource, not necessarily behind a social.coop SSO (but protecting against spam).

3 Likes

Hi. Have you tried contacting Domains.Coop about this? They are probably interested in the topic. The best person to contact is probably Tom Ivey: tom@domains.coop

1 Like