Nominet coup attempt?

https://publicbenefit.uk/ have called an Extraordinary General Meeting to kick the directors out of Nominet. I guess there are other co-techers who are also Nominet members?

It looks like there are already enough members’ votes to make this happen, but it seems like a very positive move to challenge Nominet’s slide away from Not for Profit, so now’s the time to pledge support!

Some context Nominet vows to freeze wages and prices, boost donations, and be more open. For many members, it’s too little, too late • The Register
Nominet claims effort to replace its board with 'safe hands' is invalid, refuses to put it to member vote • The Register

4 Likes

Really pleased to see this campaign. Nominet has for some considerable time now needed better clarity and focus.

3 Likes

I’ve just registered Webarchitects support with 212 domains / 1,543 votes in favour of the resolution, I see you just beat us @edmaw with your 264 domains / 1,595 votes! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to remind anyone else who’s a member that the vote is on Monday
it’s an inspiring tale of collective ownership overcoming profit motivation!

Nominet have really dug themselves into a hole A threat to independence - Nominet

3 Likes

Well done all! This is so sorely needed. Sounds like a real mess.

2 Likes

as in yesterday? What happened?

it was close but the board were kicked out by 52:48. The CEO resigned over the weekend

4 Likes

Thanks for the update @edmaw - exciting news!

What are the next steps for this campaign? Presumably to elect a new board?

2 Likes

ORG have written a very good piece

The next steps are not that certain. The remainder of the board still have power to drive Nominet in a more or less commercial route if they choose. The campaign proposed 2 new directors, but that motion was rejected by the board before the vote (not by the members). Now the campaign have imposed a deadline for the board to provide an update on their plans for meeting the campaign’s criticisms, some plans were presented before the vote but were not impressive enough to save the directors.
I expect that things will calm down a bit in any case, which may create space for the board to do the
right thing :crossed_fingers: inshallah!

3 Likes