Hi from Steve Gill at VME (soon to be VME Co-op)

The Malta prime minister is an amazing story, and I certainly like the idea of Maltese platform cooperative Silicon Valley, I would move there tomorrow if I could :smiley: !

I made a “debate” with @Graham on Kialo about the future of platform cooperatives, whether the focus will be more on platform coops with globally spread or locally clustered membership. However, it might very well be that platform coops that have a globally spread membership will be registered in concentrated geographically in one or few countries.

One problem with sustainable growth for global platform cooperatives, like Social Coop (a microblogging platform coop similar to Twitter) is that although in practice it’s a cooperative, and very democratic one, the democratic decisions are not legally binding. It’s very hard to impossible to have a legal cooperative with global membership and asynchronous decision making.

On the other hand, you only need one country to make it very easy to set up cooperatives that anyone from anywhere can join easily, and platform cooperatives take a big step forward. With traditional cooperatives, every country have to make its own laws about cooperatives.

I was first betting that country could’ve been Estonia, but now I’m starting to think maybe you and the people involved there can make it happen in Malta instead, no pressure though :smiley: !

There was some talk in Social Coop about registering as a Maltese cooperative. Social coop didn’t generally see it relevant yet to turn into a legal cooperative, but there seemed to be pretty widespread agreement that in the long term we need to have more binding legal structure, and operating as a Maltese cooperative seems like one of the best ways to do it. The fellow who proposed this in Social Coop is from Malta himself, I don’t know him personally but since there probably aren’t many people on the planet who has put so much thought into platform cooperatives and Maltese cooperative law as you and him, he might be someone you want to contact. Here is his account on social coop and here is his Loomio account. I also linked this discussion to him.

Let me know if I can be of any help, although I’m afraid my only useful skill is translating stuff from English to Finnish :smiley: . I am also involved in WeCollective, and we would certainly love to take part in the Co-op Exchange based on what you have written about it.

Exciting stuff! See you again on Open Coop!

2 Likes