I looked at the client list of CoTech and noticed that the only two big coops that were in the list were Midcounties Co-operative and the Phone Co-op. Dublin Food Co-op was the only other coop I could find in the list. I might have missed something and apparently the list is not totally up to date.
- What sort of work did CoTech members do for Midcounties Co-operative, Dublin Food Co-op and the Phone Co-op?
- Are there other examples of other co-ops buying services from tech coops (in the UK or the world in general)?
Also, feel free to generally discuss how big coops could use Principle 6 to support tech coops.
Webarchitects Co-operative hosts quite a few co-op websites, email and Nextcloud servers, I think the issue is that it isn’t always clear which clients on www.coops.tech are actually co-ops, looking at the Webarchitects page:
Birmingham Bike Foundry are a co-op, we host their WordPress site.
- We did host the Carbon Co-op Drupal site but they have recently moved to a Siteground, non-coop hosted, WordPress site.
- We host the WordPress site for The Community Music Co-operative (not listed on CoTech site yet).
- We host email, Nextcloud and provide Debian laptops for the Co-operative Assistance Network, they are also members of our co-op.
- We provide DevOps services and hosting for two virtual servers for The News Co-op, we are members of their co-op and they are members of our co-op.
- We host the Co-operatives London WordPress site.
- We are members of and host the wiki for Co-operatives UK.
- We did host the Dublin Food Co-op Drupal / CiviCRM site (this is an archived copy we still host), but they are now using a commercial WordPress host.
- We host the WordPress site for Greenwich Co-operative Development Agency.
- We provide a Nextcloud server for INCA (not listed on CoTech site).
- We provide email hosting, WordPress hosting and a Nextcloud server for the Leeds Bread Co-op.
- We have a ongoing VPS exchange in place with Mayfirst.
- We provide two managed virtual servers for mc3 for hosting multiple WordPress and Drupal sites (including sites for other co-operatives, this is not listed on the CoTech site).
- We host email and the WordPress site for Organic Lea.
- We host the Principle 5 - Yorkshire Co-operative Resource Centre WordPress site (they are missing from the
- We host email and the Drupal site for R-Eco.
- We did host various Regather WordPress sites but they switched to commercial hosts and I think the only one left is Green Homes Sheffield.
- We did host WordPress sites for Scottish Communities Finance and the Scottish Community Re:Investment Trust until they migrated to the commercial server used by their web developers.
- We did host a static website for the Sheffield Co-operative Development Group but they recently switched to the commercial Wix platform (not listed on the CoTech site).
- We host the Sheffield Renewables WordPress site and their email and lists.
- We provide a sub-domain for the Sheffield Student Housing Co-op web site.
- We provide GitLab hosting for the Social.coop (not listed on the CoTech site), they joined our co-op for this.
- We provide email and WordPress hosting for the Solidarity Economy Association.
- We provide email hosting for Somerset Co-opeative Services and we are members of their co-op and they are members of our co-op (they also wrote our rules, we haven’t yet listed them on the CoTech website).
- We host the Sound Bites WordPress site.
- We provide GitLab hosting for the the Tech Support Cooperative (not listed on the CoTech site) via git.coop, they joined our co-op for this.
- We host the Unicorn Grocery WordPress site.
I don’t think this is a complete list, I’m sure we have clients we haven’t listed on the CoTech site, also we have worked with several CoTech co-ops on projects, the main ones being mc3, Outlandish and Agile.
We would love and could do with more work from others co-ops, they are generally some of the best clients to work with.
Exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for, thank you very much!
I hope you are well.
So we work with Midcounties supporting some of their internal systems. Co-op Web was actually born out of Midcounties 13 years ago, we used to be an internal team that MCC allowed to spin off into our own Co-op and we’ve kept a good relationship ever since. Our Articles actually state that we can call on a non-voting board member to join from MCC if we feel we need support or direction.
We did also go through the procurement process of Co-op Group as a link for the Co-Tech, however nothing has really come from that yet.
We are also talking to Central England, as they are keen to learn more about Co-Tech and work with other Co-ops in general, but this is very much an in-progress discussion.
Apart from that we’ve had the odd project with out Co-ops, but nothing major so far. We did a POC for ICA some years ago, but this didn’t really go anywhere.
Hope that helps!
Exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for! Thank you very much.
Great info on webarchitects clients. Thoughts on defining a simple spec and making this available via each coops domain? Like a http://example.coop/techcoop.json file?
Could have details on clients and services offered, and metadata about what sorts of clients, etc. less need to keep a central website up-to-date; maybe more delegated. Could just aggregate, and each coop could render their own website from this. (Says the person about to redesign a website, for which this would be minimal burden )
civic.json formats: https://github.com/BetaNYC/civic.json
EDIT: happy to spin into new thread if seems interesting, but otherwise might let it lie here
EDIT2: https://schema.org/Corporation (note that
NGO exist as subtype of
Organization schema, but nothing for