Co-operatives UK Workers Co-op Weekend May 10th-12th 2019

2019-05-10T15:00:00Z2019-05-12T12:00:00Z

Latest on Worker Coop Weekend venue, weekend of 10 May, I’m pasting @athertonjohn’s latest communiqué:

Last week I’ve been manically phoning round places, a lot are booked up but I have had one come back that is free and within our price range, I may yet get more as some enquiries still outstanding.

But if I have to make a decision quickly, due to interest that weekend is this one ok?

We have the campsite, with your standard shower block and toilets, he is also suggesting:

Oak lodge as our main base. Standard seem to be better that last year, but difficult to judge and there is a smattering of of other cabins if people want even more privacy at more cost

Camping in £14 per person for weekend

Dorms works out at about £70 per person for the weekend (but there are no other costs to hire rooms etc).

So averaging it out I think I can get a similar price to last year.

Location is pretty good as well, near Kettering, just off the A6, but local train station is 6 miles so not walk able.

1 Like

Sounds good to me, thanks @Sion for posting it and thanks @athertonjohn for organising it, I think this event deserves it’s own thread, so I’m going to split it off, this will leave a link behind.

The Co-operatives UK site has been updated with these details:

https://www.uk.coop/uniting-co-ops/events-calendar/worker-co-op-weekend-2019

WCW booking is now live. John has put up a Google doc for programme ideas and offers. The venue looks a definite step up from the last 2 years but still low cost.

1 Like

I’ve just booked a couple of camping tickets for myself and @nick — anyone else from CoTech thinking of going? Do we want to do a session? If we do, on what? Last year we had some good conversations regarding food co-ops working with tech co-ops but I don’t think there much, if any, follow up to this.

2 Likes

I don’t think @nick can make it after all to the workers co-op weekend in two weeks time, 10-12th May 2019, near Kettering, Northamptomshire:

https://www.uk.coop/uniting-co-ops/events-calendar/worker-co-op-weekend-2019

I’m going, I assume there are still tickets available, is anyone else from a CoTech co-op going to be there? If there is should we consider doing a session?

Webarchitects has a spare (camping but might be upgradable to a dorm or room) ticket to the Co-operatives UK Workers Co-op Weekend, which is next weekend, 10-12th May — is anyone interested in this? Post to this thread or sent me a private message if you are.

Also, Solidfund has put £750 in to support bursary spots at Worker Coop Weekend for travel/ticket cost for anyone who would need that to go. Let me know if anyone wants to take that up.

Hi @chris, possibly interested in ticket if still available? How much do you need reimbursing?

HI @liam, the ticket cost £55+VAT and any contribution towards that would be appreciated, note that you might want to check with @athertonjohn if there are dormitory places available to upgrade to — this is a camping ticket, bring your own tent and sleeping bag etc.

Just spoken to Jonathan and he says a ok for changing to dorm, would you mind sending me payment instructions and I’ll get the monies to you, thank you very much Chris as always you’re a legend!!

A great time was had by all at the Workers Co-op Weekend, myself, @aaron, @liam and @Sion were there, in addition to lots of sessions and discussions we had a stonking bonfire from dusk to dawn on Saturday night.

IMG_20190511_230522

For next year @athertonjohn has booked an awesome venue, Thornbridge Hall in the Peak District, which has rooms and camping facilities for 100 people and we think it would work really well as a joint Workers Co-op / Co-operative Technologists event, so I’m intending to make this a formal proposal for our first decision making circle call.

@athertonjohn on what dates do you have Thornbridge booked for 2020?

3 Likes

It truly was an awesome weekend, I really recommend all to attend the next one! Thank you again @chris for the lift there and back, so much support, love and appreciation within the group

2 Likes

Wonderful idea @chris

1 Like

Tweets from the weekend used the #wcw19 hashtag.

1 Like

Great idea for running CoTech gathering alongside #WCW20 (just coined that tag). It will work brilliantly to have 2 event strands, I think. Re dates I think it’s 8-10 May (tbc @athertonjohn)

1 Like

@leedscath has written an article about the weekend:

This hits the nail on the head for me, I really enjoyed doing the pots with @coopsmark :smiley::

The vibe at the Worker Co-op Weekend is relaxed, practical and DIY, with a sense that going for a walk and talk is probably just as useful as going to scheduled workshops – that is definitely the case when chopping veg or washing up while chatting to Mark Simmonds!

1 Like