Are there worker coops that pay equal salary to everyone?

When I visited Mongragon worker coop in 2016, I was explained that they have salary multipliers between x1- x6, meaning theoretically that the highest paid person earned 6 times more than the minimum - although in practice it was more like x3 - x6.

So if the practical pay difference is just twice as much, (and it shrinks further after progressive taxation), I wonder if it makes sense to just divide the profit equally among members and not differentiate salary at all.

Are there worker coops that pay equal salary to everyone?

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure that Suma and Unicorn (not sure if anyone from those co-ops is on this forum) have completely flat pay.

I think where there are advanced/niche skills required, it gets more difficult to have flat pay. For example, we need to attract senior software engineers - and we already pay lower than market rate, but we couldnā€™t afford to pay everyone Ā£375/day (our current top rate). Our ratio is 3:1 and our cleaner is included in that.

Weā€™ve been redoing our pay system and will have a meeting about it today, so that ratio might change. Iā€™d be interested to know how much power Mondragon members have over their pay/if they get the opportunity to feed into the process.

6 Likes

At Webarchitects we all are on the same hourly rate, however, some of us work for many hours more than we are paid forā€¦ :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

At Common Knowledge weā€™re on a flat payment scheme, understood as the day rate.

Itā€™s relatively uncontroversial and important for us as a political principle. We averaged our pre-coop wages to arrive at the figure.

On the other hand, this rate does not consider the ā€œreproductionā€ of the coop: we donā€™t know what the organisers and cleaners of our office Space4 are being paid, nor of our accountants etc., and we arenā€™t wedded to any particular rate for any contractors we hire-in for particular projects.

4 Likes

Yep, we at Autonomic are on a flat hourly rate (plus bonuses based on surplus profit).

5 Likes

Yep, we pay a flat hourly rate at Unicorn Grocery, currently Ā£12.50/hr, plus bonuses. One thing to note is that all members ā€˜multi taskā€™ (multi-skill is probably a more accurate term), so will combine, say IT (in my case) with shelf stacking, cleaning, warehouse work etc, as well as management tasks.

7 Likes

Angela, the Space4 cleaner is considered within our pay ratio :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Update on our pay review: we started it but didnā€™t manage to finish it. It was a really good process! And a lot of us reflected how far weā€™ve come - a 18 months ago it would have been too emotional/tricky to go through a really transparent process.

It also makes me think of dynamics and creating a healthy and safe working environment from a psychological perspective. We (Outlandish) take it seriously and have indirectly spent a lot of time preparing through communication training and sociocracy.

6 Likes

Ar GreenNet we are all on the same salary, pro rata for days worked per week as weā€™re mostly part time.

4 Likes

Calverts has equal flat pay and have operated that for 42 years. All employees are hourly paid rather than salaried. The current rate is Ā£19.45/hour, with 1.25 and 1.5 overtime rates for excess (over 37.5 hours average in a pay month) or unsocial hours.

3 Likes

Yes, we have an equal pay structure. We are a very small organisation but everyone is equally as vital to our success.

4 Likes

Uncontroversially same goes for Animorph!

5 Likes

At https://opendataservices.coop/ we pay the same per FTE (also many part time staff).

3 Likes

Yep, Aptivate have a flat pay structure. It was nice to achieve that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ditto Footprint Workers Co-op

2 Likes

Yes, all the members of We Are Open Co-op earn the same. However the twist is that weā€™re not ā€˜employeesā€™ so it depends on the project day rate.

In practice, that means that there could be two projects where one day rate is twice the other one. However, within each project each member is paid the same day rate.

More here (including surplus): http://wiki.weareopen.coop/money

2 Likes

I love this, thanks for sharing! :blush: