A free, open source encrypted alternative to Zoom provided by a platform cooperative Collective Tools

Here is a free, open-source encrypted alternative to Zoom that is provided by Collective Tools, a platform cooperative.

If you want to access other project management tools that Collective Tools provide you have to pay a subscription fee. However, when doing so you become a member of the cooperative and can therefore democratically participate in how the tools are developed.

Hopefully a lot of cooperatives will join and together create an arsenal of shared tools!

One cool thing is also that the membership is global.

3 Likes

Wow! This is pretty cool! and very useful in these times of high demand for video calls :clap:

1 Like

Very useful, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I assume this is just an instance of Jitsi Meet?

I wonder how well Collective Tools instance compares with that free, open source encrypted instance? I guess perhaps better if only because less people will know about it (although perhaps worse because perhaps it doesn’t have as powerful servers running it).

I’m a big fan of Jitsi Meet (although have found it to be not really that reliable :expressionless: ), and other other open source options like Kopano Meet - which is nice as it’s a Progressive Web App which means no need to install any apps on phone), Big Blue Button, and Nextcloud Talk.

But there is a good reason everyone seems to use https://zoom.us these days. It just works.

1 Like