Workers Co-op Weekend 2022 ⛺🔥🍺✊

Really would like to make it over for this! Keeping an eye on it.

2 Likes

Booking are open:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed last year for sure!

We’re going to Selgars Mill in July, which might suffice for 2022 but asked around in the co-op.

1 Like

It’s the most important worker co-op gathering in the UK this century (!) as we will be co-designing a new worker coop federation, in which CoTech has to be an important sectoral group.

4 Likes

Hey we’re discussing this again, seems somewhat likely some of us will make it to this. I see the draft programme but is there another way to submit a talk/workshop/etc. or it is just adding stuff to the drive? Do we want to maybe make a bit of noise about CoTech by carving out a CoTech time/space or?

3 Likes

That shouldn’t be a problem at all, if you want to discuss it with the organisers before adding it to the Google document then best raise it via a Loomio thread.

I’m with @Sion on the suggestion that CoTech should become the IT sector of the new worker coop federation that is going to be discussed.

1 Like

I’ve added a CoTech section to the agenda with this content to start with, feel free to add / amend:

CoTech and the potential new workers co-op federation

How should Co-operative Technologists fit in with the potential new workers co-op federation, do we want to propose that it is folded in and constituted as the IT sector, or should CoTech remain autonomous?

3 Likes

Did add also an agenda item about infra sharing/re-use focused on the Co-op Cloud project and an organiser from the weekend is following up for a call. Will update when I have more info on plans.

2 Likes

I think the way forward could be be: CoTech becomes a self-organising industrial group in the new federation. It will help both CoTech and the fed to grow and get their act together.

We can share loads of infrastructure, and CoTech can help the fed get its data, systems, IT right (at both policy and practice level). Thanks @chris for leading on this, @Colm is up for the WCW session too (mainly contributing on a data commons strategy I think).

3 Likes

@Sion do you know if there’s any plans for childcare for the weekend? I’d like to come along but as it’s a weekend I’d need to bring the kids.

1 Like

I suspect the answer is no regarding childcare but I’m not in a position to answer this question, perhaps ask in the Loomio group?

1 Like

Thanks @chris! There hasn’t been any discussion in that Loomio group since January. Is that where the planning for WCW is mostly happening? @Sion and @athertonjohn have mentioned elsewhere about how much is planned but I haven’t been able to find much information so far. I would like to contribute but I think the distance, timing (weekend) and the fact that I would need childcare will make it difficult for me (and I imagine, others).

1 Like

The main Loomio thread for this year is this one, but I guess most of the planning is being done by the workers co-op council?

2 Likes

The proposal to provide up to £3,000 bursaries for Worker Co-op Weekend 2022 is closing at 5pm today so if anyone here, who pays into Solidfund, hasn’t voted now is your last chance.

To maximise its potential, this proposal is to budget for up to 20 bursaries of up to £150 each (covering for example £100 camping ticket cost for the 3 days plus up to £50 of receipted travel costs) for those who would otherwise be unable to afford to come.

PROPOSAL EDIT: Add £25 to max travel bursaries for people coming from Scotland/Ireland/Europe

1 Like

The Solidfund bursaries proposal was passed so if you don’t think you can attend the Wordkers Co-op Weekend due to the costs please see the proposal and get your application in!

3 Likes

Update: several members of Autonomic are joining this, see you there folks :smiley_cat:

6 Likes

Hi all, I have rented a 9-seater minibus to go from London to Selgars Mill on the afternoon of Thursday 28th, returning on Sunday 1st. Only a couple of firm takers so far, let me know if anyone wants a seat.

Anyone who would struggle to cover ticket costs or travel costs, email comms@solidfund.coop as there is still money for bursaries of up to £150 (or up to £175 from Scotland/ex UK)

3 Likes

Many Autonomic members are going to be present! For many of us, this will be the first time we’ve ever met in person. Hope to see many of y’all there!

1 Like

indeed! I’m very excited to attend! I’m coming from Vienna on the 26th and need a place to stay in either Paris or London on the 26th and 27th. Is there anyone who might be able to host me for a night or two on my way to the event? I can offer you maple candies from Vermont :smiley:

Thanks!!

Here is a group photo for the event which I found on an article on thenews.coop.

Worker-Co-op-Weekend-Selgars-Mill-2022-group-1281x600

1 Like