Our Canadian co-op is getting ready to run our first payroll! Any suggestions from hard lessons learned? Any and all feedback welcome, especially about mistakes
Yes, anything is technically possible, but strong opinions are welcome!
- What schedule have you learned works for you? Weekly? Biweekly? Monthly? Why?
- How would you do it if starting again?
- Do you use any payroll services or addons? Would you start with them?
- Is the burden of running payroll high enough to warrant doing monthly?
- How many people on your payroll?
(We have 7 members, but only 2 are expecting to pull regular paychecks in the medium future, the rest are more part-time, including working other FT jobs. We mostly track work and intend to bill mostly by the hour, with a percent skim for the collective fund. We’ve set up Quickbooks Online and are 99% committed to it.)
Related, but different focus: How do CoTech co-ops manage their payroll and accounting?