Video call for international exchange

At 35c3 we thought about ways to grow and deepen our international connections. Although there was a bit of skepticism one ideas was to have at least one call in the beginning of the new year and see how it goes. Another idea was to use this forum for communication and to create zine on tech-coops together.

What do you think? Would you like to take part in such a call? Maybe already in February?

3 Likes

Hi!
It’s a very good idea. We have participated in two calls like this, one was at the Cotech Gathering 2018 and other with @chris and @Kayleigh.

I think that if we want to make it works, we have to define an agenda first, and we can do that in this forum.

1 Like

Yes! I think that have monthly calls could improve and make stronger relationships for exchange.
February will work for us at cambá

I propose to start with some few topics

• Presentations (who are us, what we do, where we do it :smile: )
  • How we communicate our labor culture (credentials, website, social media and think to start a Zine on Tech-Coops with a global vision)
  • Inter cooperative Projects (we have some work flow for this kind of projects here in Argentina, maybe we can share our experience)

Maybe there is another topics that are more interesting to talk about…

2 Likes

Great! Also @solverniers topics seem to be a very good start for a first call. I think the topic of “economic sustainability” or how to get coops really started would be also interesting, but maybe for another call.

We can try to find a time/date using this tool: The World Clock Meeting Planner - Results
For us it would be no problem to have a call at 20:00 Berlin time and mo-fr if possible.

happy to participate in such call! I am currently looking for the possibilities of cooperation with tech-coops.

1 Like

@AnnaColchis13 Hey! Great to see more people coming around :slight_smile: Are you part of a coop or what are interested in?

hey there, I not a part of this community, but I am not working formally for any cooperative. Would love to. I am qualified foreign lawyer with experience in data privacy (here UK). Do you know of any projects that I could be helpful with?

anna

I am not sure yet how you could help. Maybe we could have a short call someday?

We’ve decided to do a first international tech-coops call on the 26th March on 18 pm (CET / UTC+1)

1 Like

We’ll have a call today (Tue) for anyone interesting in connecting tech coops internationally.

17:00pm GMT at Jitsi Meet

I am hoping to participate. Cetis LLP is based in the UK, works in the area of learning technologies (particularly higher education) and is a member of CoTech. Our members have worked on many European projects, some live in other European countries, and some of our ongoing work is international. It would be good to explore at least European collaboration possibilities, if not wider.

1 Like

The notes from the meeting were written on a Etherpad during the meeting (and might be improved after this copy is posted here). Note that a email list has been setup and there is a further call planned for Tuesday 30th April, 17:00pm UTC.

26.03.2019 Tech-Coops International call

Agenda

Minutes

Introductions

• Henning, IT-Kollektiv, 4 tech co-ops and a lot of freelancers have a network, not formal yet. People in the core coop (4 full time people atm) use Python, Angular, also a lot of PHP and Ruby and a lot of DevOps (Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes). Also selforganized freelancer network.
  • Pehuén, dev, from Nayra Coop, a FACTTIC co-op, based in Argentina, 6 full time workers, web development, 4 working on a job in Canada, mostly NodeJS and JavaScript, plus PHP and WordPress.
  • Nico - Fiqus, a FACTTIC co-op, based in Argentina, 12 members, two offices. 3 large clients, plus custom projects. Use Free software, Python etc.
  • Chris, Webarchitects and Agile, based in Sheffield where we host services on our own servers, doing devops with Ansible.
  • Netto, a FACTTIC co-op, based in Argentina, 22 members, Javascript frameworks, PHP. Also we run a educational project (ltc.camba.coop).
  • Reynir Hi, I’m Reynir from data.coop - a consumer cooperative. We got our own hardware up running fairly recently and are setting up services such as Matrix etc. The site does still not have any English text, sorry :frowning_with_open_mouth:
  • Simon Grant, Cetis LLP: Cetis is involved in learning-related technologies, particularly for higher education, we do consultancy, research and development. We have been a worker coop for 4 years, but working together for up to 20 years as an agency for the UK higher education community. We are keen to be involved in any collaboration for education-related technology or standardisation. We work with a lot of free/open technology, but also with what clients require. Cetis is a member of the UK’s CoTech. Personally I’m keen to contribute to co-operative-style governance.
  • Abraham French I am a developer in Dallas, Texas, I do a lot of enterprise level development (is that you on LinkedIn?)
  • Clark Evans (is that Clark Evans?) who was involved with the invention of YAML 20 years ago, no longer supports the GPL, thinks we need a co-op alternative
  • Rahul Baisane: I am Drupal developer from India. I work remotly. Thank you.

Coops / Networks

• Exchange on different legal structures
  • Is the GPL still suitable, Clark Evans thinks we need a co-op only alternative, we agreed that it would be good to discuss this further, perhaps on the Cotech forum.
  • Presentation on FACTTIC/intercooperation:

What’s going on?

Communication

2 Likes

Thanks for the minutes and making it work!

I totally missed it in the end … sorry … see you all on the next :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great work everyone! Hopefully I will be able to make the next one.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: International Tech Coops Call