Time to dump your Apple Mac

I guess the more interesting bit to me is the factors that make it easier/harder faster/slower to get there.

Maybe it’s as simple as the available resources, but that just leads to further questions to me. What are resources? I think it means people. And we are not lacking in people, rather the co-ordination of people. Money systems are there to co-ordinate us, but have their own twisted incentives. But there are more!

From my perspective, if we limit our definitions of resources to those from capitalism (i.e. money + commodity workers (including volunteers)) then we’ll forever be playing catch up. Whereas if these other approaches can achieve another level of co-ordination then a mutually supportive ecosystem of projects and movements has a chance to make things much better than capitalism can (with its various limitations, most notably having to please “capital” at some point somewhere).

I’m looking for this kind of key philosophical shift, then the associated practises that can come out of it. I’ll stop here though before I float off into the clouds above…

Hmm, not sure if there is a question here. I dunno… erm… Discuss.

(I could split this thread off if it’s really confusing btw!)

Why is it either/or? Why not both? In my vague and anecdotal experience the people that are willing to make personal changes are the same people that make more systemic challenges. I think it helps to feel the struggle is related to our every day actions, mutually reinforcing patterns.

More philosophically, to me it’s about the whole and the part. The whole only exists because it’s made up of many parts, but the part has little meaning without the whole. Or, translated for clarity, the systemic structures only exists because of many individual actions, but the individual action has little significance outside the context of the systemic structures. From my view the two are inextricably linked.

Of course, it can get way out of balance at times, where people focus way too much on berating their friends… being all judgemental and all that. An easy trap to fall into!

But with supportive approach, can help people to try out some more open tech alternatives, and they may even embrace it and enjoy it! (some people don’t know you can run your whole computer system, with word processing, audio production, and many other things, never having to type a license code into a text box!).

One of the simplest approaches that would be effective, would be a legislative approach, that states that ALL packaging be recyclable.

Note: NOT “Made From Recycled Material”!

ALL packaging to be made from recyclable materials.

Give a 2 year transition for the packaging manufacturers to switch over, and apply fines for non-compliance as percentages of Turnover.

Then extend this out from Packaging to the Products.

At the slight risk of bringing what might otherwise be a sibling chat on telegram to a discourse forum … there’s something I’ve noted in the last several years of working on a large complex software project. It’s never particularly useful to “divide things into two groups”, but sometimes it can be informative anyway. Certainly with complex software/technology projects, but perhaps with most human endeavors whose solution is not immediately and trivially obvious, there are two categories of constraint that I’m constantly aware of.

One of them is filled with things where what needs to be done is clear, but actually getting the work done is the challenge. Available person-hours and coordination issues dominate the way things in this category get done.

The other is filled with things where what needs to be done is not clear, and there’s some unbounded and somewhat ineffable process that someone (one or more people) has to go through to figure something out. The arrived-at answer might consist of a trivially implementable thing, or a major undertaking, but at that point it will enter the first category.

I think this applies to social-level issues as well as purely technical ones. You might say that this is just the “inspiration vs. perspiration” distinction, and I wouldn’t disagree with that.

In a similar vein:

:grimacing:

Linux is surely the only solution?

1 Like

A post on this thread has been flagged for inappropriate content and there has been discussion about the language and tone used with regard to the forum guidelines by the forum moderation team.

Forum Guidelines - https://community.coops.tech/faq

Please read those guidelines and keep them in mind when participating here. The person responsible for breaking those guidelines has been directly messaged and this thread will be monitored by the forum moderation team.

Happy Monday.

3 Likes

I’m disappointed that we are having to stoop to use moderation tools on this forum, I’d like to remind the person who’s post has been hidden that Discourse is designed for “Civilized Discussion”.

1 Like