Remote Tutoring worker coop?

What do you think about creating a (or using an existing) worker coop to facilitate remote tutoring? For example, a member tutor in the UK can teach English to a student in Japan.

That’s just one example and there could be various other cases, say math or engineering taught by retired professionals?

This can become an interesting example of “platform cooperativism”, international, inter-coop cooperation, etc!

3 Likes

Hi Yasuaki!!!
This is a great idea! Some folks have just started talking about a teachers coop platform to sell their courses online. Here is a link to notes from last 2 meetings: Etherpad and Etherpad
Get on the list serv to receive invites to chat about the idea: lists.riseup.net

2 Likes

Hi Micky!

I have just read the notes (btw the link to riseup.net did not work). I would love to join the discussion!!

I think online English (or any other language or various subjects) tutoring is a no brainer, and suits the worker cooperatives very well!

I would love to hear more about your thoughts! If you wish to talk directly, my phone number is +81 90 6523 2640 and I am available on Skype, Telegram, etc.

Needless to mention that I prefer “FSF approved” alternatives but I am still learning more about those tools :smile:

1 Like

Hope this link to the list serv works - teachers-coop - Teachers Cooperative for online classes

1 Like

It is the first TEDx talk of the founder of Free Software movement. Stallman, RMS for short, has changed the world with his vision of freedom for the digital age. He launched the GNU operating system, used with Linux as a component, and inspired the development of Creative Commons licences and Wikipedia project. In this talk, Stallman describes how nonfree programs give companies control of their users and what users can do in order to recover control over their computing.

Licence: Creative Commons BY-SA-ND 3.0

CREDITS :
Drawings under CC-BY-ND 3.0 created by Christian Nogareda (Kwis, Http://kwis.tumblr.com) & Valentin Pasquier (http://utopiqdream.deviantart.com) based on ideas of Richard Stallman, by himself & Ynternet.org foundation.

In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)

3 Likes

Thank you Micky, I have just joined the mailing list.

And yes, RMS is like the North Star - I mention him almost like a concept personified in discussions :grin:

I guess I am just such an Anarchist (as in people should not rule others - not necessarily advocating immediate removal of governments!) that I identify with Noam Chomsky, Free Software, Worker Cooperative, you name it :smile:

2 Likes