Moving away from Zoom: ColloCall (co-op hosted solution)

Hi!

I leave this here, maybe is interesting for coops who provide some of these services:

6 Likes

I finally got to try out Jitsi on Safari, and as @shaun said it didn’t work. It indicates that video is not supported, consistent with what I find mentioned online, but my mic input didn’t work either.

I also found this fairly recent thread about Edge & Safari support.

I will be updating Hypha’s covid19 resource with this new information.

1 Like

Hi all,
Sorry to have been absent from this thread the last days!
@shaun I’ll get back to you about Ethical Consumer after the weekend, hope that’s ok? They are friends of ours - we are Best Buy for email and broadband, by the way :wink:

1 Like

There’s an app for Apple though, I beleive?
I don’t know whether it’s any good, but the android/f-droid app is OK.

For MacOS desktop devices? I know there are mobile apps.

I proposed these changes to our covid19.hypha.coop site Update videoconferencing section for BBB and Jitsi by benhylau · Pull Request #21 · hyphacoop/remote · GitHub to include mobile and lack of support for Safari on Desktop.

In april 2020 Conversations released a new version with support for end-to-end encrypted audio/video calls, bringing that functionality to one of the most widely used XMPP clients. For A/V calls to work you need to enable server-side support.

Related: just an FYI that XMPP has new special powers if you’re running that infrastructure.

Friends are working on a draft for how to set that up:

homebrewserver.club

1 Like

Ah that’s right i think, it’s only for mobile

Well, we’re ready for you to add our Jitsi offering to the list @shaun
It should be around £20/month for your own instance, we already have a free one going for GN customers/network

2 Likes

Should stress @edmaw that you were not named best buy because Ethical Consumer are your friends :wink:

1 Like

Philip @sheldrake at Digital Life Collective just drew attention to this for those that haven’t seen it:

Thanks Philip @sheldrake

2 Likes

Dave Lane, the President of NZ Open Source Society is involved in running a BBB instance for NZOSS and more recently another one for the Open Educational Resources Foundation. Both have been made publicly available as a COVID-19 response, but I think Dave and others involved in both orgs might be interested in comparing notes on deploying BBB (and potentially other services) in a more sustainable, cooperative manner.

2 Likes

Continuing on mobile device support, I have some new datapoints.

BBB on Mobile

Had a bunch of calls with people on mobile platforms, here’s a summary!

• BBB web client works on mobile, no app is needed
  • iPad and Android devices work even better than I expected! Clear audio, video, drawing on whiteboard, PDF upload and presenting, everything works great :smiley: first time users who aren’t especially tech-savvy had no trouble
    • One Android phone, from an unknown manufacturer, has Chrome crashing whenever trying to enable video
  • Microsoft Surface (I assume Edge browser) seems to be audio-only
  • Phones with tiny screens may be more problematic, but that seems like a general problem

There isn’t a collective place to pool this info together yet. I am going to continue this documenting on our BBB issue at the Hypha GitHub for now instead of piling all details onto this CoTech thread.

1 Like

Just on my feed.

A Jitsi Ansible role. Looks solid, has tests.

1 Like

Hi @chris!

We at GreenNet have deployed a public Jitsi Meet instance at https://vc.greennet.org.uk We’ve been working with Jitsi Meet so far because we have experience with it, and because it’s hosting requirements are not difficult to meet (though of course it can use quite a lot of bandwidth, like any video conferencing software).

BBB sounds promising, but for production use the developers recommend that it runs on bare metal hardware, with no virtualisation, and so the server requirements are much more demanding and potentially costly compared to Jitsi Meet. For that reason, I think it does make sense for organisations to team up and collaborate in setting up BBB instances.

I think GreenNet would be interested in participating in meet.coop. I have seen the plans that you all have put together on https://wiki.meet.coop and they look quite sound. We’d be happy to contribute sysadmin time and possibly hosting capacity. Though I don’t know that we currently have any spare suitable bare-metal servers in our main datacentre currently. And bandwidth capacity may be an issue, we’ve been quite careful so far about hosting Jitsi Meet instances on our main network because of bandwidth considerations, preferring to at least initially deploy them to Hetzner cloud servers, where bandwidth is plentiful and cheap.

Anyway, let us know how we can become more involved, I think we’d definitely be interested in participating in the beta testing phase of the project, initially, so that we can compare the functionality (and ease of deployment/administration) of BBB with that of Jitsi Meet. Once we have some experience administering and using BBB, then I think we at GreenNet would need to decide which of the two systems to concentrate our efforts on.

2 Likes

That Systemli Ansible role was used as the basis for GreenNet’s Jitsi Meet deployment. It’s solid and works well. We have since customised some settings, reducing some of the audio and video quality parameters to some extent in order to reduce bandwidth and CPU usage. We should probably try and publish the Ansible roles that we are currently using when we get a chance.

-Ian

2 Likes

It would be great to have GreenNet involved in this project @imac, it is still at an early stage but is recieving a lot of interest. There is now a open meet.coop Discourse forum:

We have a draft roadmap and here is what we are looking at in terms of an initial server, yesterday I started writing a BBB Ansible role.

We are having weekly meetings, the next one is tomorrow at 3pm 2pm, would you like to drop contact@meet.coop a line to ask for an invite?

The agenda for the meeting is here.

2 Likes

Interested to hear what @ Ian Macdonald says - I/we are also comparing Jitsi Meet with BBB/Open Meeting Co-op - If i may suggest there may be sense in pursuing both

Use Jitsi for quick, often one-to-one/small meetings.

BBB is more ideal for more conference/presentation/education
Just a thought?

2 Likes

What a shame that neither of those, nor meet.coop we’re included! It doesn’t even mention Big Blue Button! Whereas Jami.net, which is completely peer to peer (ie will not work well for anything but really small groups of people with great connections) is at the top of their list:

I love Ethical Consumer and subscribe to the magazine, but they are quite often off the mark. Sigh

1 Like

Also unsure as to how they’ve concluded that Jitsi are less ethical than Zoom!

2 Likes

Also, I’ve tried Kopano Meet (2nd on their list) a few times and it’s never really worked very well (although does have a nice UX aside from that)

1 Like