More worker co-op gatherings in 2021

The Worker Co-op Council agreed to make a firm booking for Worker Co-op Weekend at Selgars Mill near Tiverton, Friday 23-Sunday 25 July. The day before - Thursday 22 July - we are mooting a pre-event Solidfund strategy session, which may run alongside a face-to-face gathering for the relaunched Young Cooperators Network.

We have also agreed to put together an online pre-event on Saturday 1 May, International Workers Day, possibly with 3 segments:
10.30-1.00 Worker co-ops: How to get Started - paid-for webinar, part of Stir to Action’s New Economy Programme
Afternoon: Open session to discuss the programme for WCW (possible themes Youth and International Solidarity)
Evening: Virtual bonfire, quiz, singsong, drinking games hosted by Blake House (last year’s was fabulous, went on for 5 hours and we had people from Spain, Argentina, Poland)

Watch this space for booking and programme details. Selgars Mill has some indoor accommodation, plus camping/glamping and lots of B&B locally (unlike previous, remote moorland venues). There will be child day/playcare for those who want to combine it with a family trip, attention to level access and careful COVID planning

11 Likes

Awesome! Am I understanding correctly that this could be the next CoTech gathering as well?

@Aaron was considering arranging one in Oxford too I think? CoTech Gathering Autumn 2020? Covid got in the way of that

I realise that Covid hasn’t gone away… perhaps if we did that there will be some ways to use more socially-distanced/outside spaces and to allow people to access it online

I love the idea of cycling to Oxford from Hertfordshire over a day or two :biking_man:

hey @calummackervoy I think it’s been decided to do the gathering at Selgars Mill this year. I am not sure there’ll be energy / appetite for another one before the year ends? I am assuming it’ll need to be mainly outdoors which limits it to late Sept / early Oct at the latest, I would think.
I’m sure we’d be up for organising one next Spring / Summer…

1 Like

I’ve noticed that the last few times there have been any CoTech or worker co-op gatherings they have coincidentally fallen on school holiday dates. I know that doesn’t effect everyone and I also know it wouldn’t be planned that way. And this also means it pretty much counts me out coming to them (I love coming to them, remotely or otherwise) and possibly others too.

I’m happy to be involved in the organisation of the next CoTech one, and try and get it booked in for a non school holiday date? :smiley: Anyone else?

3 Likes

Hi all - at the CoTech Spring Gathering we had a chat about the next in person gathering. As discussed above, tagging it on the the Worker Co-op Weekend at Selgar’s Mill seems to make sense.

The idea is that CoTech (perhaps in collaboration with Solidfund/Young Co-operators Network) will extend the booking by a day, so that we can arrive Thursday evening and carry out our CoTechh sessions on the Friday. The total cost of this would be £1500.

So we have a couple of questions:

Will you come to the CoTech gathering at Selgar’s Mill, 22-23 July?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

How should we fund the weekend?
  • CoTech fund covers the whole cost of the extra night at Selgar’s Mill plus food/drink
  • CoTech fund covers the extra night at Selgar’s Mill only
  • Members buy their own tickets and CoTech fund covers any difference between ticket sales plus food/drink
  • Members buy their own tickets and CoTech fund covers any difference between ticket sales only.

0 voters

This is not a proposal, just sense-checking. Please cast your votes by the end of the week, and let me know if you think the options need changing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I actually can’t vote in the above poll because I made it for fund members only to vote in, and I don’t seem to have that badge :woman_facepalming:t2:perhaps that’s true for other members too. @chris @SzczepanOfAnimorph either of you able to edit this? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I recall correctly the fund group was created so the corresponding category would only be open to members of co-ops who contribute to the fund to post in it — the membership of the group clearly needs updating, currently these are the co-ops that are members (by email domain):

Screenshot_2021-04-17 Membership - Manage - fund - Cooperative Technologists Community Discourse Forum

@Lucy I’ve made you an admin so you can help update this if you want, I guess the list of co-ops that paid into the fund last year should be used.

1 Like

Everyone who’s participated here, it would be great to hear your voices over on the Loomio proposal/discussion :slight_smile: and there is some urgency! Thank you :pray:

1 Like