Making contact with other tech co-ops outside of the UK?

I will add my force for discussion there…but I really feel better sharing information here at CoTech at least as I feel more confident at Patio…

1 Like

Hello everyone!

As @solverniers said, I participated in the meeting in Cambá.

Knowing @Kayleigh was great and hearing about Cotech and its similarities with FACTTIC was really interesting.

If a call is arranged again, I will be there.

2 Likes

hi @solverniers

the work you and your federation are doing sound super interesting. I’d be glad to get to know more! Getting our coops to gain economic sustainability is our main project at the moment (besides getting our structure into this new phase). How long does FACTTIC already exist? I am so curious and want to know more.

I am sorry that the 35c3 reference was a bit euro centric. 35c3 was the 35th. Chaos Communication Congress. This is one of the main yearly events in Europe for all sorts of hacker, activists etc. There are a lot of talks about different topics (that you can find online) but also a lot of space to hang out, work on projects and party :wink:

2 Likes

FACTTIC is a project that started at 2010, but was founded at 2012 because the legal part was made at that year. More or less, we are 19/20 cooperatives and at least 380 professionals working on them.

Gain economic sustainability is one of the crucial steps that we usually focus at when a cooperative is being founded. We are fighting as a different form to work and live against freelance and entrepreneurship culture (and big companies, of course). We try that everyone that is starting at the cooperative and has clients bring them for everyone at the cooperative. Otherwise you are creating the competition instead of cooperation.

Also is important to have all your incomes from the cooperative. If you still mix it with another job is hard to focus and make stronger your collective. Are you all living from the cooperative? Do you have a commercial role to get projects?

I didn’t post our workflow of intercooperativism because I have to translate it and i dont find the time. :grimacing: promise I will post that.

I mentioned 35c3 at Cambá and some associates know it and started to discuss about that, last year we made a donation for a hacklab, and we are really into activism, hackerspaces and security stuff.

2 Likes

Here’s a Finnish tech worker cooperative, I’m not involved with it but can contact them if needed.

Here’s their description:

“ExpertOS is a worker cooperative and a community of professionals that produce a diverse range of ICT services for businesses. You can either strengthen your team with an expert of ours or order a whole project from us. Members of the cooperative represent the cooperative and market the services and know-how provided by our community.”

La Guilde sounds awesome!

They bring “together 162 independent studios that employ nearly 2,200 people, making it the largest video game co-op in the world” (from https://www.thenews.coop/135579/topic/technology/desjardins-supports-quebec-video-game-co-operative-750000/ )

1 Like

Although see also the criticism on this thread: i.e. that the workers in the studios themselves have no say.

Hi everyone!

I’d add Coop IT Easy, we use Odoo to help coops and association in Belgium and Europe. :slight_smile:

And also our friends from Barcelona: CoopDev.

Have a good one!

3 Likes

Hi @robin.keunen ,

thats super interesting! We almost did something with odoo and one of the coops in our network is doing some work with odoo I think.

Also check out the other thread on a video call to connect all those tech-coops popping up.

1 Like

That sounds great… Do you have any information about tech cooperatives in Belgium? @robin.keunen Are you part of Coop IT Easy? Do you know another coop there?

I m really into make contact with experience in that country, since part of my family born there and I have contacts at the community and the embassy here in Argentina.

Yep I’m part of Coop IT Easy. I also know of Champs Libre and Damnet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just a note not to forget CECOP/CICOPA, the federation for coops industry and services, based in Belgium - in case we can use their infrastructure for international events/links. The American federation, Mercosur, is the regional CICOPA affiliate. CECOP is holding its 40th year general assembly alongside Coop Congress in Manchester June this year, and we are lining up 2 days of visits, events and discussions, perhaps under the theme ‘Cooperative organising in a time of social, political crisis’. There is a discussion going on in the Worker Cooperatives group on Loomio about session topics, which include at least two on tech perspectives. https://www.loomio.org/d/jmUPxB1T/designing-european-event-cecop-network-general-assembly-june-manchester

1 Like

(Relevant to the Indie Infrastructure discussions, but some useful overlap to the international co-ops community)

We’re excited about https://equalit.ie/infracon/ next week - it’s early days for this network but it brings together some very useful groups,

Also early April is IFF in Valencia, https://internetfreedomfestival.org/ a couple of us GN folk will be there, as well as lots of our APC colleagues, any co-techers?

2 Likes

That sounds great, please mention CoTech and this looks like something that is right up Webarchitects street, we have met and worked with various people from Greenhost, RiseUp, LEAP, Autistici and MayFirst over the years so please pass on our support and solidarity :fist:.

2 Likes

I’ve spent the weekend working with the librehosters network and I’d like to invite people from this forum to participate. The network is very young and we’re currently working to collectively agree on what it means to be in the network (similar challenges to cotech discussions). Please see our outcomes on https://talk.libreho.st/t/gathering-to-discuss-values-governance-criteria-and-process/134/21 and feel very welcome to join the debate.

3 Likes

Hi folks,

Just saying a quick ‘hello’ from CoLab.coop. I recently learned about this board from Rohan at Geddup.com and wanted to drop in to offer a warm greeting.

I’m also sharing this community link with the CoLab.coop international Slack community.

We are definitely interested in supporting international solidarity within the tech co-op movement and welcome the work you all have done to lay a foundation for this and the opportunity to exchange ideas and resources here. I’m at rylan (at) colab.coop if anyone here would like to converse via video chat regarding specific ideas for international collaboration.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Wicked! I’d love to have a chat with you but in a few weeks because I have lots of work on at the mo. Are you based in Aus as well? I had a quick email exchange with Rohan the other day and he was great.

2 Likes

Hi Kayleigh!

I’m in upstate NY at the moment (born and raised in California) but just returning from 3 months in Asia (India / Indonesia). A solid block of our membership / member candidates are from India / Indo, and I’ll be heading back there to continue working from Asia later this year. :slight_smile:

You are based in the UK? Yes, would love to chat when things slow down … likewise a bit busy over here at the moment.

1 Like

No rush from me, hope it slows down soon and we get a chance to chat. I am indeed in the UK, looking forward to chatting some time in the future.

1 Like

Sounds good.
How’s your week looking next week? Drop me a line at rylan (at) colab.coop to coordinate?

On the related topic of international solidarity you may find this blog post interesting I shared yesterday:
https://colab.coop/blog/colab-earth-dream-with-us/

Likewise look forward to connecting Kayleigh!

1 Like