Joining CoTech from Amsterdam?

Hi,
Some friends/ex-colleagues and I are looking to set up a coop of (web)developers in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
The main problem we are trying to tackle now in our orientation phase, is how to find work.
Would joining CoTech allow us to find jobs more easily? And is it at all possible to join CoTech as a non UK-based tech coop?

Kind regards,
Maarten

Hi Maarten

As I understand things at present, CoTech is for UK coops – but I would personally be very interested in seeing what we could do, say, in the Benelux countries, as I have personal ties with Belgium…

Best wishes

Simon (asimong@gmail.com)

Hi Simon,

thanks for your reply!

kind regards,
Maarten

Indeed - it’s currently only UK co-ops to make meeting up easier!

Are you the same Maarten that I introduced to Allen Haim some time ago? I believe he was starting a tech co-op in Amsterdam.

In terms of finding work if you have a bunch of senior developer and some skills in French then you might try https://happy-dev.fr/ who are the French equivalent of CoTech and often short of people. @alexbourlier and @sylvain are hanging out here I believe.

3 Likes

I confirm that we do ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@harry yes, one and the same! :slight_smile:
thanks for all the good leads!
J’ai fait la maternelle et la fac en France, so I think I can manage the French. :wink:

@alexbourlier would love to be in touch once we’ve got our coop set up!

1 Like

Feel free to ping back anytime

1 Like

Great to come across this – starting a tech worker co-op in Toronto, Canada.

I notice in the manifesto that there’s nothing mentioned about UK, so I was under assumption outside UK was alright. (Mostly assumed this based on how often network members seem to lean on the manifesto in the forum to arbitrate decisions about who is welcome)

Since the rationale is attending local gatherings, might it be possible for “international co-ops with at least X residents of UK” to be considered? That might be an interesting tactic to grow network, no?

Effectively, you’d be expanding the network without diluting cultural exchange, by essentially passing off responsibility for culture transmission to working co-op’s themselves, who are already spending effort maintaining culture over distance as part of Doing The Work :slight_smile:

@patcon you’re very welcome here - we’re generally not fans of nation states and if you’re using tech to make a fairer, better world we want to work with you.

The UK element is really just practical - the network lacks resources currently and supporting other co-ops in the same city can be challenging. There are issues about where the meetups happen to be convenient, and I don’t think we’re opening to meet in Greenland any time soon :grin: Also if we do create a legal form it may be that it requires members to have legal entities in the UK, due to those pesky nation states we (I) don’t like. Other than that - let’s collaborate!

3 Likes