International hosting and cloud co-operation

Following on from @JanPeter’s second introduction post.

The only example I can think of is exchanging virtual servers, we provide Mayfirst (who are almost a co-op) with a small VM in exchange for one hosted with them.

I’d be interested in doing the same with Hostsharing eG if they would be interested — one of our nameservers (a 1GB Debian Stretch VM) is running on a Gandi VM and it would would be quite easy to migrate this elsewhere — @JanPeter is this something that would be of interest?

2 Likes

Hi Chris,
Currenly I´m talking only for myself and not in behalf of the Hostsharing-team. I´m interested to define use cases where an cooperation in server usage makes sense.
I will ask our team, if they can imagine any use cases. I also would be interested to know, why you have exchanged a small VM with Mayfirst and why do you think it makes sense to to migrate on of your nameservers to another location in exchange to a similar VM ?

I will give an update, if I have news from our team. But they currently are quite busy with technical / organizational tasks. The margins for pure hosting are decreasing constantly and paid services is an area, which constantly need to be developed and expanded.

Regards
Jan-Peter

1 Like

Domain name servers are critical to the Internet, they resolve Internet Protocol (IP) addresses (numbers) into human readable domain names, generally if the DNS servers for a domain are down nothing else will work, so it is essential to have some redundancy — we have two DNS servers on our physical infrastructure in Sheffield and one with 1984.is in Iceland and one with gandi.net in France, it would be nice to save some money by swapping a 1GB VM with another co-op to replace the Gandi server, does that make sense?

1 Like