Experience implementing a DisCO (distributed cooperative organisation)?

This is something I spend quite some time thinking about in my karrot context, both the project itself and the groups that use it. A more “radial” (or “fluid continuum”) model of organising seems very appropriate for those (as opposed to the binary of being either in or out of the project).

I read a bunch of the disco.coop material, and joined a call with stacco and others (as part of social.coop). To me it seems a bit too specific to a certain model of organising, and a lot of focus on time tracking (although I think they have model where that is optional). So far I didn’t find any way to just use that model. Interesting stuff though, and I would benefit from digging deeper again I’m sure.

I suspect that any project/network/ecosystem has to go through it’s own process of building structures, principles, and organising methods. Currently have been exploring Cybernetics/Beer/Viable System Model (VSM) (via Anarchist Cybnetics book). I like the VSM perspective of being an analytical tool rather than an organisation structure, seems to have a lot of power from that.

3 Likes