Open source delivery platforms

Has anyone come across Crunchbutton on Github? To my untrained eye, I’m no developer, it looks like it could be a promising basis for a platform cooperative. Perhaps something more generalised than purely food.

2 Likes

It does indeed. The delivery market is so competitive and exploitative that it would be pretty hard to build a successful, non-exploitative co-operative. It’s hard enough turning CoTech into a platform co-operative and digital agencies are about the most profitable thing that’s still legal!

2 Likes

There’s a group of riders that would be interested in funding development/hosting of this platform for more general delivery, operated on a (worker) cooperative basis. It’s appears* mostly a case of rebranding and customisation, then hosting. I know it’s a length of string sort of question, but could anyone give a ballpark price on this work?

*to the untrained eye

1 Like

I wonder if this lot CoopCycle have seen this? I note they’ll be at https://2018.open.coop

@olisb hook them up?

1 Like

Hadn’t seen coopcycle, I’ll pass the info along. Thanks @jdaviescoates !

1 Like

See also this article Resisting the gig economy: the emergence of cooperative food delivery platforms - New thinking for the British economy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The article indicates that they are developing their own app. Can’t see anything about how old the piece is, but might be worthwhile getting in touch, for anyone with an interest here.

Have just been reading that the coopcycle app has been in use for a few months by molenbike.be, would be interesting to know how it’s going against the competition.

1 Like

Viewing the source seems to suggest was published 30 May 2018 and updated 2 June 2018, so very recent. But, yeah, I hate it when published date isn’t obvious too :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello, I’m a member of CoopCycle, Ask Me Anything :grinning:

@jdaviescoates thank you for connecting us with Matt, we are going to try to make something in York.

@Graham about Mensakas, we have been in contact with them, actually they have a developer in their team that once did a food delivery platform, Pidelow, and they prefer using it.

3 Likes

Just tried to sign up to your mailing list at CoopCycle and the ‘Send’ button isn’t working.

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting this, it should work now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @mex, your code is the first real example I have seen of a project using the Peer Production License (this is a CopyFarLeft, rather than a CopyLeft license, with CopyLeft, eg the GPL, sharing is enforced, with CopyFarLeft the code can only be used by worker coops) — how is that working out for you?

2 Likes

That’s great, thanks.

Hello @chris, well actually the Peer Production License was chosen when the project was just a side project, because it was the only license out there that enforces the co-operative model.

Now, all of this has become quite big (and very serious), and the Peer Production License can’t really be used in the “real world”: for example, in France, it can’t be used even for co-operatives, because you can’t distribute 100% of the benefits to the workers (some benefits must be kept at the bank).
Moreover, Peer Production License is not really designed for software.
So now, we are working on another kind of license.

Actually, until now, we have used the Peer Production License as an “anti-capitalist label” :grinning:
Not sure I answered to your question however…

2 Likes

Hi @mex, that is very interesting to hear, what are the goals of your new license? Are you intending for it to be GPL compatible?

1 Like

It is currently down :frowning: perhaps let them know if you’re in touch @mex :slight_smile: ?

Hi everyone. Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread. I recently came across Coopcycle here following a Google search. Has anyone been able to install it on a local server or VPS? I’m looking to setup a test/demo environment for evaluation by a new motorcycle delivery coop in Nigeria.

I followed the instructions on github to install user docker-compose. But it looks like there are some environment variables that need to be setup prior to running the docker-compose. Any advice or guidance is highly appreciated

2 Likes

I think you are more likely to get a useful response to your query by posting an issue in the Github repo