CoTech website revamp

@harry - ah yes, I mean both. While versioning (who did what, when) is important it’s the branching that’s really useful. As-in: “let me show you a concrete change I think we should make so we can work on it together before adopting it”. GitHub Pull Requests work quite nicely for the latter and storing the long-form content in git sounds like a useful thing to do.

1 Like

Slightly off the website revamp topic but wanted to follow up on from what you said about the brand + name, was that yes! And that it is already out there…

I attended #coops17 up in shakey-wakey and CoTech was mentioned a fair few times by folk and was even brought up in other peoples presentations, with no affiliation to the network, which was well nice. I know the event was full of co-ops but still pretty decent for other people to be talking about us that aren’t members of the network.

Also @Kayleigh and @leva ran a presentation on re-imaniging tech to a room full of people that were interested in our story so far and what we have to offer, which i heard which was really well received and a great step for us moving forward as this loose network thing which i think potential clients don’t seem to mind that much.

We’ve been pitching as Members of CoTech, so Outlandish & Agile, A CoTech Collaboration. Which seems to have worked alright so-far.

3 Likes

Should we make that as a proposal in the Loomio? I feel it’s fairly uncontroversial, but I guess some of the arguments made there previously about the accessibility to non-technical people still apply?

1 Like

By the way, the API is now available on the dev site and includes co-ops, collaborations, etc.

Main API: https://dev.coops.tech/wp-json/
Collaborations: https://dev.coops.tech/wp-json/wp/v2/collaboration/

1 Like

hey @harry notice project_description is html. Do you know what’s generating it and how sanitary it’s likely to be … like can people put <script> tags in there?

Sorry for slow reply - currently you can put any HTML you like in there: https://dev.coops.tech/wp-json/wp/v2/collaboration/2037

However, it could easily be restricted - either in terms of what you could save or in terms of what the API outputs.

What are you trying to achieve/guard against?

Resurrection! Thanks to all who have done great work so far. I’m hacking away on Issues · cotech/website · GitHub when I have time. We could try to build another working group around this and try to keep some momentum … I’ve created #website on the slack for questions and what not.

If you worked on this before, can someone with mapbox access weigh in on:

mapbox items not rendering in development · Issue #101 · cotech/website · GitHub

2 Likes

Great timing @decentral1se ! @polly of Space4 is organising a hack weekend and we’re looking to improve the website, documents, processes and anything else people want to hack at. More info to follow…

2 Likes

Oh yes, that’s great. Looking forward to hear about that and could also
help to organise if needed. Perhaps preparing the repo with tagging
issues for easy/medium/hard and getting more documentation in place
would be probably be a good thing … nice one!

1 Like

Agree, they should be in the top nav imho, not hidden down at the bottom.

I’m not even technically a member of the network (yet) but certainly more b than a to me. But it should also be the go-to place for everyone who needs tech support, no?

Also ping @dansmallaxe because he prototyped a landing page at Wortley Hall and has been working on brand/identity. Pardon the ping if you and Luke are already talking!

1 Like

Good point @laura

Do you have a link to what you made @dansmallaxe

1 Like

I had to take the prototype site (just a homepage really) down, as was getting charged monthly for it. I did copy across the structure and copy into a separate document though.

Thats helped inform some of the work we are doing for this Co-op group project - although the main outcome of that will likely be a slidedeck, it should be possible to use the same content for a homepage probably. That project should be complete in next couple of weeks I believe, so can feed into this proposed event or any other efforts to update the site.

Generally speaking I think the priority for me with the website is cutting down the amount of stuff on there, simplifying it, and improving the copy/images used to give a more focused message. Some of that should be fairly easy to do, some (like photography), is going to need a bit more work over time to get right. But keep me in touch with any process thats ongoing, and I’ll do the same if theres any relevant progress I’m aware of

2 Likes

We were going hella off topic on ActivityPub for Administrations Workshops - #17 by decentral1se but I feel like we could get a proposal together for this website work? This topic was opened 3 years ago so Discourse tells me. Bear that in mind. That isn’t for no reason. Let’s find out that reason first together is a good starting point Id say.

1 Like

We discussed this again in June’s CoTech monthly call today. My action point was to ping everyone here and ask how we can take a proposal of paying for some site transformations forward. The topics that I’m aware of are:

There must be some web developers in CoTech who would be interested in it? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When talking with another techie from the USA, I recommended that they take a look at how CoTech are doing things, but when they went to look at the video on the homepage, they couldn’t get the video to play.

I looked myself, and it seems that Vimeo requires a login to view the vid.

I’ve had this issue before when Vimeo did some internal changes to the way their embedded player was working. The fix last time was to change the video settings, though that was last time. This time the problem should be different. :smiley:

We could host the Vimeo video ourselves if anybody can download it or has a copy? Or we could remove it from the website? @simon.blakehouse @Ieva_BlakeHouse

Not sure if that this is the right place, but just wanted to highlight that the links to the wiki do not work

https://wiki.coops.tech/wiki/Who_can_join_CoTech
https://wiki.coops.tech/wiki/How_to_join_CoTech

BTW, what would be the way if I’m considering joining the coop?

1 Like

Sorry about that @Artemis and thanks for flagging this issue up, I have fixed the wiki.

1 Like