CoTech Spring 2019 Gathering : 25-26th April in Sheffield

There will be a two day CoTech gathering in Sheffield at DINA on Thursday 25th and Friday 26th April 2019 with a party on the Thursday night, see the wiki page for the event for accommodation and agenda details and please purchase tickets for the event if you wish to attend, low income price £11.00, standard price £33.00 and solidarity price £66.00.

1 Like

Just for the record the next Workers Co-op Weekend is Friday 10th to Sunday 12th May 2019 … in Derbyshire?

https://www.uk.coop/uniting-co-ops/events-calendar/worker-co-op-weekend-2019

1 Like

Happy new year everybody!

I spoke to some friends who run a venue if Sheffield (http://dinavenue.com/). They could rent us a room for £150 a day. Tea and instant coffee would be £1.20/day/pp (they have a cafe downstairs where we can buy proper coffee, and they could do us some kind of deal on lunch etc). The room has 4 big workbenches which each seat 12 people. Pictures below.

We could also use the space for the evening if we wish and they can provide a bar.

How is it going up at Web Architects? @chris did you chat with Steve at all? I’d be very much up for helping organise but would be good to have a local co-op take the lead.

13119042_1737213496548269_5650279645524486536_n|690x388 14045764_1783507541918864_2427173451018475249_n 14100455_1782435275359424_9114635635400340784_n

2 Likes

Things are fine, yes we are on for taking a lead on this, Jonathan has said he also contacted DINA, I just tried calling Steve but his number appears to have changed.

What do we need to do next? A poll to find the best dates (we could use the Discourse poll functionality)? Do you know what the availability of DINA is?

I don’t have the exact availability but they’re already taking bookings for March. My impression is that mid-week is usually not a big problem (may start getting problematic if we do indeed hire the space for the Friday-night party).

I can ask them, though I suspect that it might be best to get a rough idea (at least the month) here first?

Gonna PM you the number I have for Steve now though it’s probably the one you have.

The poll has moved down the thread.

I think @athertonjohn has booked Thornbridge Outdoor Centre near Bakewell for Worker Coop Weekend - it’s a superior venue to the last couple of years and believe (relatively) good wifi

1 Like

CADS only have the Abbeydale Picture House at the moment and it is a little too big, cold (probably) and expensive (£750 a day).

Union Street have a suitable space for £150 a day but it would only be available between 11am and 4pm on a Thursday but is available most Fridays.

Access Space would be good for 20 or so people and the Webarchitects office would be available for up to a dozen or so and it is worth noting that all these places are 10 to 15 minutes walk from each other so we could potentially use a few of them, but that probably wouldn’t be ideal.

The Harland Cafe, directly below the Webarchitects office, is a very nice party venue.

I ticked all the boxes but “Vote now” is disabled

Hmm it says you can only pick 11 options, why is that? OK I will just untick the ones Chris can’t make as it won’t be happening on those days anyway I guess

Nope still too many! Anyway: I can do them all.

1 Like

Thanks for spotting that problem @naomi, it was a result of me adding March after creating the other options and you can’t edit a poll for more that 10 minutes after creation, so here it is again, corrected, @Sion can you vote again please (@Sion had placed one vote for 9-10th May, the days before the Workers Co-op Weekend which is going to be about 40 minutes drive from Sheffield, starting on the evening of 10th May).

On what dates would people be able to attend a CoTech Spring Gathering in Sheffield?

• Thursday 7th March — Friday 8th March
  • Thursday 14th March — Friday 15th March
  • Thursday 21st March — Friday 22nd March
  • Thursday 28th March — Friday 29th March
  • Thursday 4th April — Friday 5th April
  • Thursday 12th April — Friday 13th April
  • Thursday 18th April — Friday 19th April (Easter is 21st April)
  • Thursday 24th April — Friday 25th April
  • Thursday 2nd May — Friday 3rd May
  • Thursday 9th May — Friday 10th May (Workers Co-op weekend starts on 10th May)
  • Thursday 16th May — Friday 17th May
  • Thursday 23th May — Friday 24th May
  • Thursday 30th May — Friday 31th May
  • Thursday 6th June — Friday 7th June
  • Thursday 13th June — Friday 14th June

0 voters

Sorry to be pinging all of you but unless we have some more votes on this poll we won’t be able to set a date for a spring CoTech gathering and we wouldn’t want to do that because it’ll be awesome :slight_smile:.

FAO @KingMob @harry @edmaw @alan138 @Ellie_Outlandish @BryanMathers @matt @edrussell @olizilla @asimong @dajbelshaw @liam @chrislowis @jdaviescoates @james @bevangelist @Abi @sdgluck @amil @Graham @laura @Bill @alex @PeteBurden @dansmallaxe @CatAinsworth @jamestimbrell @finn @Mateus @rpowell @simon.blakehouse @kate @Lucinda @SzczepanOfAnimorph @jack @toml @aaron @Leutha @Felix @Kayleigh @Louise @shaun @royAB @kawaiipunk @nick @chrisroos (sorry for the people I have left off and the ones I have included who I shouldn’t have, I have tried to match usernames to people I recall being at CoTech events but I’m sure I have made errors… )

3 Likes

Thanks, did it the other week! Ooops didn’t go through!

1 Like

done @chris thanks for the poke!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Co-operatives UK Workers Co-ops Weekend 2019

Note that the Workers Co-op Weekend is no longer going to be at Thornbridge in Derbyshire, it is at the Frontier Centre in Northamptonshire which is probably more like a drive of an hour and a half from Sheffield, see this thread:

76% of votes cast have been for 24-25th April 2019, would it now be appropriate to see if we can book a venue for those dates or should we wait to see if more than 17 people want to cast a vote?

1 Like

I will bring it up in the next Outlandish members meeting on Wednesday to see who thinks they can make that weekend. Maybe others who are active here can do the same for their co-op?

@chris last time I telephoned every co-op to find out if they could make it which I think it quite effective because lots of people aren’t very digital seemingly :wink: Do you think any of you have capacity to do that? I have a list of various people’s numbers, or many of them are on the website.

I’m happy to speak to DINA and see if they have availability that weekend if people want. Or seems to me that the other best option would be a combo of Access Space and the WebArchitects office. What did others think on the venue front?

1 Like