CoTech Nextcloud Talk

I think we are installing software here rather than building it (which the initiatives you shared seem to be). Agree there are many good efforts in that area that we should join rather than duplicate.

1 Like

I fixed a stupid typo in the turnserver.conf template earlier today and have regenerated the config and restarted the coturn server so it is possible that Nextcloud Talk at office.coops.tech might work now…

1 Like

Nice. Looks like CommonsCloud are just using NextCloud, Discourse and WeKan - I wonder how much work (if any) they’ve done to integrate them so they all play nicely together.

Aral told me about https://indienet.info/ plans when I most recently met him at a conference in Brussels but I hadn’t seen the site yet so good to see it starting to come together :slight_smile:

BTW, looking for more about CommonsCloud I stumbled across @ntnsndr’s nice list of similar initiatives here Clouds – The Internet of Ownership :slight_smile:

Nextcloud Talk is working fine now, @Graham found the issue and fixed it :+1:.

We have tested it using web browsers and a phone running Nextcloud Talk for Android.

I’ll update the Webarchitects page on Nextcloud later tonight to reflect the fact that this service comes with our managed Nextcloud servers.

If anyone knows of any small organisations who have quite a lot of people they want to share some of their documents with, for example a charity with a few workers and a lot of volunteers, then please mention Nextcloud to them as an alternative to G Suite or Office 365 — it works out cheaper in addition to the added advantage of not sharing your private data with a US based corporation and we could do with some more work :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

I was wrong. They are integrating (to some degree) NextCloud, Discourse and Phabricator.

I found this out by reading this great article outlining why they’ve chosen these technologies (which was the first time I’d ever heard of Phabricator - how had I not heard of it before!?!):

http://freeknowledge.eu/article/making-of-commonscloud-technical-choices

I have only come across Phabricator because the Mediawiki project uses it, personally I’d have thought that GitLab would have been a better choice but I think NextCloud, Discourse are great choices.

Their integration plan involves a single LDAP sign on for all the three platforms, I have sent them a email following this Twitter thread but haven’t heard back from them:

But GitLab only has a tiny fraction of the features/ apps of Phabricator, no? I’d guess it is the, wiki and Trello clone/ kanban boards and chat/ Slack clone that have lead to it’s inclusion more than the code stuff… oh but having now actually looked at GitLab features that is pretty feature rich too! (way more than I realised).

I wonder if Nextcloud Talk would work for the next CoTech community call? It works fine for one-to-one chats, @Leutha and I just used it, but I haven’t tried it with multiple people, perhaps we could have a test community call using Nextcloud at some point?

1 Like

I’m not formally a member of CoTech yet (although just started the process and @chrislowis will be started a proposal for United Diversity to join in Loomio soon, probably Monday) , but would love to have a play around with NextCloud if you’re able to create me an account @chris? :slight_smile:

Done, on the basis that it seems inconceivable to me that your co-op won’t be imminently be a formal member of CoTech :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I have used NextCloud talk a couple of time now and it seems to work really well. Let’s give it a go.

1 Like

Gnome has just migrated to a self hosted GitLab and the only good options were Phabricator and GitLab and as part of this they produced a GitLab/Phabricator Feature Matrix, see their Development Infrastructure Evaluation for more detail.

1 Like

I’d like to use Nextcloud to collaborate with @jdaviescoates on a session on skills mapping for the November CoTech meeting. But – apologies – it’s not clear to me how to get an account. Please could I have one, for Cetis LLP?

Hi @asimong I have added an account for you, using the same username and email address that you are registered with here, so you should be able to request a password reset, I have also created a cetis group and made you the admin of it so I believe that you should be able to add accounts for others in your co-op. Let me know if you have any problems.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Deleting Discourse Spam

I’m in the process of rewriting all of the Webarchitects Nextcloud Ansible code for Debian Buster and PHP FPM (currently all our Nextcloud servers are running Debian Stretch and mod_php) and I came across the following thread on the the Nextcloud forum, we are not the only people who have found Nextcloud Talk to not be usable for 3+ users at once:

The suggestion of using Apache OpenMeetings seems good, so if and when I have some spare time I might have a play at setting up a OpenMeetings servers for testing.

@chris did you look into jitsi before (has debian packages…) - I only ever used their main instance (https://meet.jit.si/) but generally have a good experience (but usually <5 people). It looks like you can fully self host an instance… (not actually sure what the goal is here though). It has web client, and android app (and probably more).

(I see somebody mentioned jitsi on that thread…)

1 Like

We host Jitsi and Nextcloud chat, but stil seem to mostly fall back to skype and zoom (despite we’d much prefer to be on FLOSS for security and ethics!), both are improving steadily, but the overhead of faffing about to get the calls going is always an issue, in addition to the actual quality of the call

Looks like this issue is suddenly getting critical

1 Like

The possible solution to this problem that I’m going to dedicate some time to over the next while is BigBlueButton with Nextcloud integration.

3 Likes