CoTech Gathering šŸŖ Spring Break 2021

Fun Circle! Iā€™m with ya

2 Likes

Would like an opportunity to pick the shared infrastructure thread up again

6 Likes

Thanks for kicking this off @SzczepanOfAnimorph

I have two things rattling around my brain at the moment:

1. BizDev - can we work out a standard rates approach for collaborations that encourages collaborations and increases value to both coops.
  2. The CTO role in Tech Coops - how do tech coops do the work reserved for a CTO? (e.g. setting the technical direction, agreeing and monitoring technical standards and processes etc. Is this a challenge in your coop? Does it get easier / harder as your grow? How does this fit with a sociocratic structure (circles)? Do you have a de facto CTO? etc etc.
5 Likes

An alternative might be a physical gathering alongside Worker Coop Weekend, now tentatively recheduled for 23-25 July at Selgars Mill, Stir to Actionā€™s new training centre.

Also an online worker coop event series is being mooted for 30 April-1 May, with an international focus.

5 Likes

Hi Sion,

Thanks for the information.

We had our monthly Co-Tech meeting today and would like to propose the spring gathering from 08-09 April.

The gathering could be broken into two parts:

1. Morning part on Thursday (08/04), 10 am-1 pm; being from ā€˜state of the unionā€™ and have several parallel threads running in parallel
  2. Friday (09/04) afternoon planning physical meeting and have fun into the night

Date of the next meeting: 31st March 2021 at 4 pm

Notes from todayā€™s meeting are available here:
https://wiki.coops.tech/wiki/Circle_Call_2021-02-24

4 Likes

Thanks for a swift post @mikoliang !

At the GM the other day our co-op decided to step up and organise a little spring break 8-9th of April!

This online gathering will serve as a way of catching up and as a primer for the face-to-face gathering later in the year!

As @mikoliang suggested this online gathering would be made of two half-day parts:

1. Thursday 8th of April - 10am - 1pm
  2. Friday 9th of April - 2pm onwards!

Thursday morning part will be dedicated to elements we would like to catch up with, some of them already brought up in this thread. After lunch and on Friday morning people can hang out and do some CoTech related stuff such as updating the website etc. but there will be no ā€˜officialā€™ sessions.
On Friday we would meet after lunch to synchronise updates (e.g. what happened on Thursday), have a working session dedicated to planning physical gathering in summer(?) and run into the night with the Fun circle instigated by @KingMob @Kayleigh and whoever else is a joker!

We need your input!

1. Aside from ideas for themes / sessions already mentioned in this thread, what would you like to happen during the mini-gathering?

2. What are your tool preferences? Meet.coop is something we normally use at CoTech. AirMeet was mentioned during the call as an alternativeā€¦ any other you would like us to consider?

3. Any other ideas for best online CoTech spring break? Donā€™t hold yourself back!

@mikoliang @Hannah @Geoff and myself will do everything we can to coordinate, and we certainly invite everyone to contribute!

6 Likes

Crap, missed this again! So sorry. Will make a note for next time.

No worries @alex , you havenā€™t missed the spring break yet!

1 Like

Looking forward to the online session on April 8th-9th very much!

@Sion Selgarā€™s Mill sounds like it could be fun, Iā€™d like to make it down there. Where do we find out more? And what are other people thinking? Seems so abstract right now!

1 Like

Break out rooms and self-organised sessions would be rad.

3 Likes

@simon.blakehouse a digital photobooth room could be set up to capture stills and a workshop room relating to investigating needs & developing the brief for New CoTech videoā€¦ food for thought.

2 Likes

@Hannah is researching the platform tip @polly shared at the last CoTech call, very promising!

@decentral1se would you be up for presenting at the opening session on Thursday morning given you are now working on the newsletter and hence probably most most up to date with whatā€™s going on?

2 Likes

Would be pleased to take part in a discussion on shared digital infrastructure if any interest - from 12noon on 8 April. Let me know please if youā€™re interested in joining me.

4 Likes

yes Iā€™m interested Shaun

1 Like

Thanks for the Airmeet lead @polly! While initially very compelling, a test and dig into it leads me to think it doesnā€™t quite meet our needs, such as multiple sessions running simultaneously, even in the Business tier; would need to enquire about Enterprise to access this feature, which seems overkill for one small event. Also they push for Chrome-only which many here balk at; other browsers get a ā€˜Liteā€™ mode where they cannot interact with other usersā€¦!

A brief scoping of some other big conference/meetup platforms and despite all the lovely UI and trimmings Iā€™m not finding compelling enough pros outweight the cons; a major one of both Remo + Hopin is that they donā€™t support users on Linux.

I propose to keep it simple (and co-operative!):

• Propose and develop the sessions here in the forum (anyone, up until 31st March, 4pm)
  • Individual members of CoTech register to attend (Animorph collects email addresses, e.g. Eventbrite)
  • Confirm the session topics and whoā€™s facilitating them at the CoTech Monthly Call (anyone + Animorph, 31st March, 4pm)
  • Publish confirmed schedule here on CoTech forum (Animorph)
  • Create a home room for the event on meet.coop, and rooms for each session (Animorph)
  • Send the links to all attendees before the gathering (Animorph)
  • CoTech gains ++++++

Beyond which platform to use, our time and efforts will be spent aiding people to prepare and facilitate sessions.
Let us know how you want to get involved!

4 Likes

Yep, I can do that!

Also, we could do a chat/demo/whatever about Autonomic launches open alpha of Co-op Cloud - #4 by kawaiipunk is there is an hour free somewhere /cc @kawaiipunk

3 Likes

Thanks Simon.

Anyone else? Weā€™ll talk about shared hosting from bare metal up to cloud apps. Maybe weā€™ll talk about connectivity too.

1 Like

Iā€™m up for that. I would imagine @chris also?

2 Likes

+1 from me for meet.coop - they have a German server running now so we wouldnā€™t need to be on the Canadian machine.

2 Likes