CoTech Gathering šŸŖ Spring Break 2021

Yeah we definitely want to run this session at Autonomic under the ā€œshared infrastructureā€ theme. Not sure how to propose a time / date but will join the circle call on the 31rst to get the rest of the details I guess :slight_smile: /cc @3wordchant

3 Likes

What platform? (ah, Airmeet)

Iā€™m with @Graham: we should use de.meet.coop :slight_smile:

But perhaps also look into using https://workadventu.re/ which is great fun! Itā€™s like a 16 bit game where you walk around and meet people. Whenever you get close to another character(s) it opens a WebRTC meeting and there are also Jitsi Meet rooms in dedicated rooms/ areas too.

Iā€™ve just added a link to the Outlandish Playbook and also to Autonomicā€™s write-up about how they make decisions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™m up for experimenting more with work adventure, Iā€™ve only demoed it so far.

Maybe a session in the evening?

3 Likes

Nice one! We can book ā€˜the eventā€™ for Friday evening and then claim the ā€˜venueā€™ cost from the Fund! Would workadventure replace some of the breakout rooms ideas you described in the notes from our call last week?

1 Like

I think we could use workadventure as the loose social drink room. And then the more involved games can be on meet.coop.

1 Like

Iā€™m aiming to spend some time updating the CoTech website during this event, the key aim being to update the listing of co-ops, Iā€™m aware of two that need removing and 8 that need adding, Iā€™ve sent these 8 an email asking them to join this gathering or let us have some content prior to it. If some other people would like to join in this effort that would be appreciated, we can do some screen sharing if necessary and hopefully a few more people could be got up to speed in how to update the site.

2 Likes

We are closing down on the line-up for next weekā€™s gathering! We will announce it on Wednesday evening, after the monthly community call.

In the meantime would love to ask people to vote and/or nominate relevant people we will name Meet.coop rooms after. The poll has some initial choices, please feel welcome to propose yours!

• Gladys Perkins
  • Radia Perlman
  • Elizabeth Feinler
  • Sally Floyd
  • Stafford Beer
  • Roy Clay
  • Other (specify in comment)

0 voters

Would be in a room named after any of these folk, but seemed redundant to vote for all of themā€¦please also Sadie Plant.

1 Like

Stafford Beer was the only name I recognised.

But having now looked at relevant Wikipedia pages for the options given, I note the glaring emission of Steve Shirley :slight_smile:

The was a very relevant and timely innovator given the recent increase in remote working:

In 1962, Stephanie ā€˜Steveā€™ Shirley created a software company when the concept of software barely existed. Freelance Programmers employed women to work on complex projects such as Concordeā€™s black box recorder from the comfort of their own home.

Maybe Fun Circle can work with Steve Shirley?

Just updated the post at the top of the thread with the full line up!

Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday, until then, enjoy your Easter break!

@jdaviescoates @KingMob @SzczepanOfAnimorph I have a self-hosted version of Workadventure running and it looks amazing, but the 1-on-1 voice/video/text proximity doesnā€™t seem to be working. If anyone can help me troubleshoot Iā€™d be very happy to get a CoTech instance going.

Anyway, very excited for the gathering, look forward to seeing yā€™all there! :fist:

4 Likes

Nice one! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve no idea, but Iā€™ll reach out to the person who set up an instance for a Cloudron meetup and point them to this thread to see if theyā€™re able to helpā€¦

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Stephan from the Cloudron forum. @jdaviescoates invited me to give a little help (if possible).
There are so many options to run WA. I decided to take the easy way out as a Docker installation behind a Traefik load balancer. This was my starting point ā†’ 404 File not found Ā· Issue #452 Ā· thecodingmachine/workadventure Ā· GitHub
But in general, your problem seems to be a webrtc problem. Everything on the map, except the Jitsi rooms, takes place via webrtc. Have you tried it with different local networks/mobile networks or different browsers? In some crazy network situations I had some kind of similar problems with webrtc.
I know that https://play.workadventure.cloudron.io works for me. Please try if you have the same problem on this instance.

2 Likes

Hey folks, for our session today looking at collaboration, weā€™ll be going through a few examples of how coops have done it so far - whats gone well and what not so well. If you have a chance to look at the examples already given, and add your own today before midday that would be ace.

https://office.coops.tech/apps/onlyoffice/417749?filePath=%2FCoTech%2FSpringBreak_2021%2FSessions%2FSpreadsheet.xlsx

Hello everyone!

Just a quick message to say these two days of events look fantastic and we have been so busy at Creative Coop the last 5/6 weeks that this has quickly come around and we are struggling to find much time to get involved.

However saying that I have moved a client meeting will be popping into a session or two (despite not very prepared). It looks like there are so many valuable sessions that we would like to be involved in especially around collaboration.

Hope to catch up with a few of you later, and we appreciate the effort everyone has gone too for the group :slight_smile:

Ben

2 Likes

Hi folks, I thought I had a wiki.coops.tech account but I donā€™t think I do now. Can someone point me in the direction of how to get an account? username / email the same as this profile will work.

1 Like

@SzczepanOfAnimorph, me and @Caitlin are very down to talk about the Good Praxis / Autonomic collaboration, but we canā€™t join your and Pollyā€™s session :frowning: (itā€™s the same time as the infrastructure talk). Maybe some later point in the gathering?

1 Like

Come round to GLADYS PERKINS at 2pm today so we can work something out, e.g. perhaps we could have a dedicated session tomorrow?

Thanks for suggesting! I can join at 2 for 5-10 minutes, I think Caitlin can make it too ā€“ if thatā€™s enough time to sketch something out?

1 Like

For sure, perhaps we could add a session tomorrow 2pm or even in the morning? Up to yous, just need to draft a couple of sentences and come up with a name for your room!