CoTech Gathering šŸŖ Spring Break 2021

Crap, missed this again! So sorry. Will make a note for next time.

No worries @alex , you havenā€™t missed the spring break yet!

1 Like

Looking forward to the online session on April 8th-9th very much!

@Sion Selgarā€™s Mill sounds like it could be fun, Iā€™d like to make it down there. Where do we find out more? And what are other people thinking? Seems so abstract right now!

1 Like

Break out rooms and self-organised sessions would be rad.

3 Likes

@simon.blakehouse a digital photobooth room could be set up to capture stills and a workshop room relating to investigating needs & developing the brief for New CoTech videoā€¦ food for thought.

2 Likes

@Hannah is researching the platform tip @polly shared at the last CoTech call, very promising!

@decentral1se would you be up for presenting at the opening session on Thursday morning given you are now working on the newsletter and hence probably most most up to date with whatā€™s going on?

2 Likes

Would be pleased to take part in a discussion on shared digital infrastructure if any interest - from 12noon on 8 April. Let me know please if youā€™re interested in joining me.

4 Likes

yes Iā€™m interested Shaun

1 Like

Thanks for the Airmeet lead @polly! While initially very compelling, a test and dig into it leads me to think it doesnā€™t quite meet our needs, such as multiple sessions running simultaneously, even in the Business tier; would need to enquire about Enterprise to access this feature, which seems overkill for one small event. Also they push for Chrome-only which many here balk at; other browsers get a ā€˜Liteā€™ mode where they cannot interact with other usersā€¦!

A brief scoping of some other big conference/meetup platforms and despite all the lovely UI and trimmings Iā€™m not finding compelling enough pros outweight the cons; a major one of both Remo + Hopin is that they donā€™t support users on Linux.

I propose to keep it simple (and co-operative!):

• Propose and develop the sessions here in the forum (anyone, up until 31st March, 4pm)
  • Individual members of CoTech register to attend (Animorph collects email addresses, e.g. Eventbrite)
  • Confirm the session topics and whoā€™s facilitating them at the CoTech Monthly Call (anyone + Animorph, 31st March, 4pm)
  • Publish confirmed schedule here on CoTech forum (Animorph)
  • Create a home room for the event on meet.coop, and rooms for each session (Animorph)
  • Send the links to all attendees before the gathering (Animorph)
  • CoTech gains ++++++

Beyond which platform to use, our time and efforts will be spent aiding people to prepare and facilitate sessions.
Let us know how you want to get involved!

4 Likes

Yep, I can do that!

Also, we could do a chat/demo/whatever about Autonomic launches open alpha of Co-op Cloud - #4 by kawaiipunk is there is an hour free somewhere /cc @kawaiipunk

3 Likes

Thanks Simon.

Anyone else? Weā€™ll talk about shared hosting from bare metal up to cloud apps. Maybe weā€™ll talk about connectivity too.

1 Like

Iā€™m up for that. I would imagine @chris also?

2 Likes

+1 from me for meet.coop - they have a German server running now so we wouldnā€™t need to be on the Canadian machine.

2 Likes

What
I want to hold a session on 2021-04-08T10:00:00Z about the existing company handbooks / policy documents of the co-ops in CoTech.

Why
The seed of the idea is that I want to create a simple shared resource (e.g. on git.coop) where our co-ops can view these documents from other CoTech co-ops.

There are many excellent approaches to these kinds of documents in the thread about governing documents / handbooks / constitutions (thank you @chrislowis), which Iā€™ve been returning to frequently as Animorph works to get our policies to cover, then go beyond, the legal minimum. There is only one (I think) CoTech co-op example in that thread, yet Iā€™m sure there are many more examples of good governance documents in our co-operative coffers, whether or not theyā€™re presented in such a way.

Next actions
In advance of the session I will work to gather as many documents as possible from the co-operatives of CoTech to get an idea of where we stand collectively. If anyoneā€™s already done some of this work, please jump in; I know @gemmacopeland and @Caitlin were working on something similar earlier this year, but maybe that had a more outward-facing focus?

Please holler at me if this session is of interest to you and your co-op!

4 Likes

I really love this idea! Common Knowledge will be able to share some of our handbook, just need to wrangle it a bit more so itā€™s ready for public consumption. Iā€™ll be there on the 8th :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah we definitely want to run this session at Autonomic under the ā€œshared infrastructureā€ theme. Not sure how to propose a time / date but will join the circle call on the 31rst to get the rest of the details I guess :slight_smile: /cc @3wordchant

3 Likes

What platform? (ah, Airmeet)

Iā€™m with @Graham: we should use de.meet.coop :slight_smile:

But perhaps also look into using https://workadventu.re/ which is great fun! Itā€™s like a 16 bit game where you walk around and meet people. Whenever you get close to another character(s) it opens a WebRTC meeting and there are also Jitsi Meet rooms in dedicated rooms/ areas too.

Iā€™ve just added a link to the Outlandish Playbook and also to Autonomicā€™s write-up about how they make decisions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™m up for experimenting more with work adventure, Iā€™ve only demoed it so far.

Maybe a session in the evening?

3 Likes

Nice one! We can book ā€˜the eventā€™ for Friday evening and then claim the ā€˜venueā€™ cost from the Fund! Would workadventure replace some of the breakout rooms ideas you described in the notes from our call last week?

1 Like