Code-operative VS Slack

Sorry for the delay, have done.

I agree that we should really be running our own Rocket.chat / Mattermost / whatever chat server and it is something I’d like to have up and running at some point, together with SSO, so we would only need one account for this site and all our other services, however my current feeling is that I’d like to wait to see how things go with workers.coop and if CoTech does merge into the new federation as the IT sector then it would probably make most sense to use a workers.coop SSO and self-hosted chat solution – that is a long way of saying it is on the back-burner for now.

2 Likes

see also

all their bridges are open source and on their gitlab

I know it’s not your style, but for others looking for something like this. the best solution I’ve found is Cloudron.

And for the more command line and 100% foss inclined see also https://coopcloud.tech/

2 Likes

Indeed, using Docker to install and manage services on a server is horrible compared to using Ansible to directly install and configure services, we do however use Docker for Discourse, Mailcow and GitLab runner servers as this is a requirement of the projects and I can see the point of Kubernetes for really big applications.

1 Like

It’s lovely when the whole process is automated by Cloudron and just involves a few clicks :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a new beta Discourse chat plugin and I’ve just had a quick play with it and it looks promising so I’m going to enable it here for just members of the CoTech group, if that is possible…

2 Likes

That seems to work, I added the chat plugin with this commit, All Members (users with a CoTech flair overlaid on their user icon) have access and I’ve created a CoTech chat channel — drop by and say hi!

1 Like

If anyone wants to pick up the technical work of bridging slack <-> matrix I can support on getting a proposal into the CoTech fund so there is budget. We have some bridging already wired up in our synapse co-op cloud recipe, so it wouldn’t be too difficult to add slack as well. lemme know :v:

3 Likes

I might be interested in this, I’ve been meaning to learn a bit more about hosting a Matrix server and it could be a good way to do it. It’s not a task that I’ve done before but the docs look friendly enough

I know that @KingMob also recently got a chatbot working between WhatsApp and Matrix, you might be interested in this?

2 Likes