Can we survive without Google?

Oh and right now you can get 50% off Cloudron subscriptions for life using HAPPY2020 coupon code - I just subscribed :smiley:

Yep, we provide hosted Cloudron with support at Autonomic. Itā€™s great. Especially because all their code is open source. We were not sure about their business model but at least it means that they can pay someone to update all of the apps (which was a real problem in Sandstorm).

Thereā€™s still a lot of refinement Iā€™d like to see especially when it comes to permissions and groups.

1 Like

Excellent. Iā€™m actually having a chat with Gauthier Guerin from Catalyst Collective/ Radical Routes/ Co-ops UK about doing such stuff tomorrow morning! :smiley:

Be interesting to chat more about how who your Cloudron customers are, how you price it, what support you offer etc etc.

I can imagine one of the most important bits of support might be to help organisations migrate their data away from Google etc over to a Cloudron VPS - have you ever done that for a client ?

Unfortunately not all of it any more (but still a significant chunk/ the bulk of it), see https://forum.cloudron.io/topic/1983/cloudron-no-longer-agpl

I still totally love it. And yes, Iā€™m very happy to pay a subscription for such a great service.

We use our own bespoke Discourse instance with enhancements that support events and task assignment amongst others (it helps loads that we are a Discourse Dev services operation! :slight_smile: ) and Mattermost.

2 Likes

What tasks plugin are you using for Discourse? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Josef, we are using the official assign plugin:

1 Like

I share many of the Google criticisms but regrettably itā€™s one of the battles I have chosen not to pick because some of their products are/have been leagues ahead of the alternatives (especially when you include set-up and troubleshooting overheads).

• I use DDG when Googleā€™s creepy algo is ā€œbreakingā€ my search.
  • I use Chromium on Linux and Firefox on Android.
  • I use VLC on my Android phone instead of Play Music or whatever junk is on there.

I really enjoyed David Graeberā€™s talk at Google Debt: the first 5000 years and for them to platform an anarchist makes it difficult for me to hold disdain for them. That said, when they start doing lock-in things on their products I just move away or find a workaround.

1 Like

Found via Hacker News:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-google-privacy-eu-exclusive-idUSKBN20D2M3

Key points (emphasis added):

The shift, prompted by Britainā€™s exit from the EU, will leave the sensitive personal information of tens of millions with less protection and within easier reach of British law enforcement.

The recent Cloud Act in the United States, however, is expected to make it easier for British authorities to obtain data from U.S. companies. Britain and the United States are also on track to negotiate a broader trade agreement.

Beyond that, the United States has among the weakest privacy protections of any major economy, with no broad law despite years of advocacy by consumer protection groups.

Iā€™d suggest that now would be a good time for co-ops to consider and try alternatives, I expect this will happen at the end of the 2020 and Facebook will also do the sameā€¦

(Webarchitects is in a position to offer alternatives such as Matomo, Mailcow and Nextcloud on encrypted shared or private virtual servers, contact us for more information).

2 Likes